Substrate for 2.5g Planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really do not want to blow 20bucks on SeaChem Fluorite if I am going to be filling such a small tank...any ideas?

PFS or blasting sand would be the cheap route. A five pound bag of regular gravel or sand from a LFS usually only costs about five bucks or so.

Where could I find that? Is it good for growing plants in? I've seen a lot of people using potting soil and stuff, how does that work?

Dirt is probably the best for planted tanks but it can get messy and usually left to the more experienced plant folk.

Plants will grow in anything but it's probably best to stay away from large gravel as it can crush the roots. For ease and general cleanliness sand is my personal choice.

You can get PFS at a pool store, maybe even a hardware store, but it comes in 50 pound bags for usually under ten bucks.

I there any way I could get like a sample bag for a lot cheaper? Is aquarium sand okay to use?

I there any way I could get like a sample bag for a lot cheaper? Is aquarium sand okay to use?

I haven't seen any smaller sizes in pfs, but face it...now that you've started, the odds of you upgrading are really good, so I'm sure you'll be able to use 50lbs of sand at some point in your future:lol:! I bought mine at Home Depot for about $9.
I've heard that most aquarium sand has a much finer grit, which is more likely to get into your filter intake and destroy your filter. Pfs is a little heavier and it won't even get sucked into your vacuum during water changes. It will lift a little if you happen to touch the sand, but it falls back down. The only down side is the lack of choice in colors, but I switched to pfs and I love it.

TankerJs said:

Doubt it but it couldn't hurt to ask the guys at your local pool store. Regular aquarium sand would be fine to use. Make sure to pick up some root tabs for your plants.

Well I still live with my parents-- I'm 17. That's why I'm not keen on a 50lbs bag sitting around. That is also why I have 4 nano tanks too. If I could, I would definitely get bigger ones, but seeing how my room is already cluttered that won't happen anytime soon.
In my 2.5 I use the smallest airline tubing for water changes, so I think aquarium sand would be pretty safe and the filter I have is an internal kind. It is the Tom's Aquarium 1-5, right now I have the diffusing head on it, but it is really strong so I am going to put the spray head on. Do you think it will really get clogged with aq. sand?

Back
Top Bottom