substrate for shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukehb21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Seeing mixed reviews on every substrate i take a look at, im setting up a red cherry shrimp tank (10g) and was wondering if anyone recommends a substrate?

hi, will probably be using artificial plants for the start but not ruling real plants in the near future, budget for substrate probably £20-£30 maximum

Cool, shrimp love live plants particularly moss. Most substrates work perfectly fine with shrimp and I've used sand, gravel, and EcoComplete and they've done well. However in terms of very specific substrates I like ADA Aquasoil and UP Aqua Shrimp Sand as they both contain buffering abilities to bring ph and kh levels down for shrimp. Careful with the Aquasoil though as it does leech ammonia in the first few weeks and should not be used for shrimp until it has "aged' for at least a few weeks. For regular/common shrimp like RCS though I wouldn't worry about buffering your water or anything though -- they'll tend to breed no matter what.

i've been told that aqua labs black earth premium is a good shout also? Have you ever used that?

Think im going to take a closer look at eco complete

In your case to save the most money I would go with black diamond blasting sand. It's cheap, effective, and will make colors really pop. It's about $10 per 50lb bag from tractor supply co. Just be sue to wash it thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom