Substrate Too Sharp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have silica 'play sand' substrate in my new 20gal Long.
I had read after I bought it that it is sometimes too sharp for bottom dwellers...

I know sand compacts, so I figured some snails would be good to stir it up. I got about 5 MTS (~.5cm) from my lfs, acclimated them, and set them in there last night.
I know they typically do their bidding after dark, so I turned the lights off. They didn't move.
The next day I turned the light back on and they still hadn't moved!

One of them had moved about 3 or 4 inches, I could tell by the trail, and I've seen others poking out of their shells, so I know theyre alive, but they haven't moved!

Is my substrate too fine for them?
Will it cut my other fish?

I should add that I have 2 ghost shrimp, one of which is pregnant. And they seem to be doing fine.

Any help??
Thank you

The sand should be okay. I would only be worried about sand (not necessarily your type, just in general) cutting stingrays, loaches, scaleless fish, etc. There is probably another reason as to why the snails have not moved yet.

bs6749 said:
The sand should be okay. I would only be worried about sand (not necessarily your type, just in general) cutting stingrays, loaches, scaleless fish, etc. There is probably another reason as to why the snails have not moved yet.

Hi, actually loaches and other bottom dwellers prefer a sand substrate to anything else because it doesn't damage their barbels as compared with say coarse gravel. Most aquarium-specific sand is fine. I don't know much about DIY sand substrates, I wouldn't personally opt for that path myself just to be on the safe side but I've read about lots of people using sand from non-aquatic stores just fine.

coldmachineUK said:
bs6749 said:

Hi, actually loaches and other bottom dwellers prefer a sand substrate to anything else because it doesn't damage their barbels as compared with say coarse gravel. Most aquarium-specific sand is fine. I don't know much about DIY sand substrates, I wouldn't personally opt for that path myself just to be on the safe side but I've read about lots of people using sand from non-aquatic stores just fine.

I guess what I meant to say, but didn't, is that the sand that jbarr was using was probably okay to use and that other types of sand such as pool filter sand may not be ideal if jbarr wanted loaches and other scaleless fiseh. Sorry for the confusion.

it your silica sand is like the silica sand i had it is very sharp and jagged, can you look at some with a magnifying glass...fwiw i got my sand at menards...

Some silica sand is very sharp, it is quite often used for sand blasting. Roll it between your fingers and see if it feels sharp to your fingers.

I got mine at Home Depot. My dad was talking about how it's used for sand blasting, so it may or may not be used for sand blasting...

I just rolled some between my fingers; it didn't feel too sharp.

Upon further inspection with a magnifying glass, the grains actually look somewhat rounded.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my snails? Why are they so lethargic!

I only have a pH and a nitrIte test kit.
NitrIte: ~0ppm
pH: ~7.6

I've found the best way to "wake snails up" is a water change - I think they're bothered by higher (which may not necessarily mean "too high for fish") nitrates.

I did a PWC today at 4pm.

Still havent moved :(

Did I get a bad batch or something?

For the record I set this tank up about a week ago.

Should I put one in my gravel substrate 10gal and see if he burrows away as a test?

I'm stumped. Quite befuddled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom