Suddenly VERY pale betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildtalon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just joined this website, so I will work on putting in my fish information in a little bit...I'm just really worried about one of our female bettas. (I'll try to make this as short as I can xD)

My family and I are brand new to having an aquarium. We bought our first fishies about a month ago--3 female bettas (Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup...we wanted to go with names that were a group of 3 lol). Our tank is pretty big; I don't remember exactly how many gallons, but it's a tall hexagon tank. We waited a little over a week in between adding new fish, and right now we have the 3 bettas, 2 goldfish (Pablo and Sanchez; i don't know the gender because my sister won them at the fair), 2 male guppies (Speck and Rip), and a female silver molly (Molly). We did have a female dalmatian molly (Dolly), but she died earlier today...we don't think she was very healthy to begin with :(

Thursday night, I noticed Bubbles was looking kinda pale. Did a little research, learned that bettas can become pale because they are stressed, looked back in the tank, and then saw a very tiny baby fishy :blink: After doing more research, it turns out that Molly was pregnant when we bought her (I came to the conclusion that it was her because I remembered seeing that black dot a couple days before and 'cause she was suddenly not as pudgy). Sadly, because my parents told me to leave them alone and stop trying to catch the baby fish to isolate them, I'm guessing they were all eaten since I didn't see any all day yesterday. Bubbles, however, was still a bit pale, but not too bad (keep in mind....before this series of events, she was completely normal).

We also ended up learning yesterday that our nitrate lvl in the tank was practically off the charts, and we had been feeding the fishies too much (once at morning, once at night....this adding to the nitrate level issue). We got advice about how much water to change (about 20%) and had someone tell us how to vacuum the pebbles at the bottom, so we did that last night. Bubbles was still about as pale as the night before when i looked into the tank this morning.

Right now, she is VERY pale....almost like a ghost white. She's also really skittish--I'll go to put my finger on the outside of the tank near she was floating and she'd zip away as fast as possible, almost as if she is terrified of something. I was busy all day, so i don't know how she looked when we learned that Dolly had died. I can understand how the changes within the last couple of days could make a fish feel stressed, but Bubbles is the only one acting like this. Please help!!! :confused:

Well first of all, goldfish and betas do not belong together. Goldfish are cold water fish (like their water in the 60s) and are very poopy, and betas need water about 80 degrees.
Since you don't know how many gallons your tank is, it's hard to tell, but I'd guess you're waaay overstocked. When too many fish are added at once to a new aquarium, there is no beneficial bacteria built up in the filter, so you get an ammonia spike which can kill fish. Going through that process of growing bacteria is called cycling.
Read up on cycling, and use AqAdvisor.com to figure out if you have too many fish and are overstocked. And most importantly, once you get that figured out, make sure to do regular gravel vacuuming.

Yep, we did the cycling. We let it cycle for a couple days before we even bought our betas (forgot to mention that xDD). As I said before, we waited a little over a week before we added a couple more fish to the tank. Also, our tank is pretty big...we bought it at a yard sale, but if I remember correctly I think it's at least 30 gallons. The tank itself is about 20 inches tall (I just measured it, hoping that might help).

Also, my sister "forgot" that dad said not to get anymore fish, and she just got home a couple minutes ago with a new dalmatian molly -_- Of course, before we release it into the tank completely, we're leaving it in the bag, in the tank for like 10-15 minutes to help it adjust. I'm just REALLY hoping this doesn't add to poor Bubbles problems....:(

Cycling takes a month at least. No way could your tank have cycled in 2 days unless you got used filter media.
It would be really helpful if you knew what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels were.

Mmk. When my dad took a water sample to a pet store to have it tested, he told me the guy said that our Nitrate or Nitrite levels were really high (I don't remember exactly which one it was). My dad never said anything as far as the ammonia, so I'll look into finding a water-testing kit/thingy . Any recommendations as far as which kind I should look for specifically?

Cool, thanks! :D I will look at 'em the first chance I get tomorrow, maybe even have mom look at 'em since I'm going to be busy all day lol xD I'll keep you updated when I can... :thanks:

Cycling a tank takes more than setting it up & letting the filter run. If you haven't done so I would do at least a 50% water change daily until you can get your water test kit. Also the mix of fish you have is not the best. As previously stated Goldie's are not tropical as the others are plus it is typically recommended, depending on type of Goldie, one Goldie needs 20g & an additional 10g for each additional Goldie. Based on that alone your tank is overstocked. Female Betta sororities typically have more than 3 Bettas in them & LOTS of hiding places. I would suspect your female is stressed because she's being bullied or one of the fish introduced to the tank brought in a disease. I don't remember what you said your tank temp is or if you said, Bettas like water 78-80F. If possible I would remove her to see if she Improves, a small QT tank that is heated would be great. This way you can easily treat her if needed.

She looks like she has quite a bit more color back in her. She's still a bit pale, but she doesn't look anywhere near as white as she did last night. She's also not as jumpy as last night, so I think she's calmed down quite a bit. :fish2:

I asked Dad last night about how many gallons our tank is and he said he thought it held like 50 or something...:rolleyes: I'm gonna have to do a little more searching, but hopefully I will be able to figure it out soon >.<:sorry:

If you have a tape measure, measure the tank width side to side, front to back & bottom to top. Then we can figure out the gallons its most likely to hold.

Top to bottom: about 24.5 inches
Front to back: 21 inches
It's a hexagon tank, so I measured the width of each side: about 11.5 inches

I found the paper my dad used to write down the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels on when he took the water sample to have tested (he did this on 8-23).
Nitrate: 4.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Ammonia: .25
And yes, the guy who tested it for us said that the first two are really bad xD

Ammonia and nitrite are bad even in small amounts like you have, the nitrate is not really that harmful. It can be up to around 80 without hurting the fish.
If I were you I would do a water change to get the ammonia and nitrite down, and then research cycling, and make sure your family members do not get any new fish haha :)
It will probably be a month or two until the cycle is done and you can get more fish.
Also, you should rehome the goldfish. They really do not belong with tropical fish.

It sounds like it is a 35g hex. Yes you need to rehome either the goldfish or the rest of the fish. I just had to rehome 8 that were fair fish. It sucks but it's better for all of the fish in the long run Like Khuli said it's your ammonia and nitrites that you really have to keep up with.

Ok. I can't really do a whole lot now, sadly, because we're getting pretty low on money >.< Bubbles was back to her normal colorful self this morning, and pretty much has been all day. :popcorn:

I think we have another problem with the bettas, though... Blossom, the darker one, I'm pretty sure has camallanus worms :( (of course, I came to this conclusion after doing more research). I keep telling my parents that we really need to look into getting something to get rid of the worms, but they don't seem to understand that I have a good idea as to what I'm talking about because I've been doing all this research :banghead: We did get a box of the Tetra Parasite Guard when my sister brought home the new dalmatian molly, so we used 3 of the tablets that night. Blossom still looks like she has quite a few sticking out of her anus a little bit, and I noticed earlier when I looked at the other 2 bettas that they're starting to show signs of the worms now too (it looks like they both have 1 worm sticking out a little). I'm beginning to wonder if the Tetra Parasite Guard will even be effective (I have some very fine-tipped tweezers and have thought of maybe using those to pull out some that are sticking out of Blossom, but I don't know if that'll be more harm than good). The box says "Remove Carbon from filter during use. (I even asked my sister if it said anything about that before she even dropped any tablets into the tank, and all she said was "It'll be fine") Treatment may be repeated up to 2 times with 48 hours between treatments and a 25% water change." Since we did the first treatment on the 24th, I want to do another one after we do the water change, but dad says it's too soon to do another water change and that he's gonna go by what the person at the pet shop he took the water sample to said.

I know...I'm saying a lot all at once....I'm just extremely frustrated because I seem to be the only one doing any research at all, but they won't listen to me so I don't know what to do next :bawl:

Correction: DAD is the one who won't listen....no matter what I say or try to show him, all he says is "It's probably just something to do with the high nitrite"
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

Back
Top Bottom