Suggestions for fully aquatic crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for a good cleaning crew and I'm interested in crabs that stay small and are fully aquatic. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fresh water your kinda restricted to shrimp. Only fully aquatic freshwater crab I've ever seen was 5inches at max size too big for most aquariums unless you have a tank with only large fish but then I'd be afraid they would eat it when it moulted.

I like amano shrimp personally just large enough to not get eaten and constantly cleaning whatever falls to the tank bottom or picking algae off plants. Bonus is they can't reproduce and overrun a tank in a strictly freshwater tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fresh water your kinda restricted to shrimp. Only fully aquatic freshwater crab I've ever seen was 5inches at max size too big for most aquariums unless you have a tank with only large fish but then I'd be afraid they would eat it when it moulted.

I like amano shrimp personally just large enough to not get eaten and constantly cleaning whatever falls to the tank bottom or picking algae off plants. Bonus is they can't reproduce and overrun a tank in a strictly freshwater tank.

Thanks, I was also thinking about amano shrimp. I have a few dwarf crawfish, so maybe I will stick with those. It just seems like they are not that good at cleaning the bottom. Maybe I just need more.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I still have to do a lot of substrate cleaning each water change. I keep corrys and the ammano shrimp and though they do help, They don't really get deep into substrate. For a less maintenance tank your really going to go with heavily planted and then that adds its own maintenance schedule( ferts, trimming, etc). Read articles on low tech, low maintenance freshwater planted systems, but never attempted.

There are Thai micro crabs, which are fully aquatic and freshwater, but max out at like less than 1 inch.

There's also panther crabs, but are big and very aggressive.

Most crabs that would actually use the underwater oasis thing are actually brackish crabs though, like fiddler and red claw crabs.

Look up Parathelphusa panthernia, I do believe they're fully aquatic...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom