suggestions for plant in front of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need some low growing plants to use in the front of my tank. I have been trying to get dwarf sag to grow but it just will not live in my tank. I have amazon sword, ludwigia repens, pennywort, christmas moss, water lettuce, and moneywort that is growing great. I have three 26 watt 6500k, cfl bulbs in metal dome clamp lights for lighting. It is mounted about three inches above the water. I have diy CO2, pool filter sand substrate. I cannot get guppy grass or duckweed to live in my tank either. I just planted some anacharis a couple of weeks ago and it is still acclimating so it looks bad. It has grown some though. I currently am using Flourish Complete and Flora pride liquid fertilizers and Jobe plant spikes as root tabs. I have ordered some gluteryde that Rivercats suggested. I am also going to order the dry ferts that were suggested soon.

The front of my tank looks bare. I thought about trying anubias nana petite, Downoi or Ranunculus Inundatus. I did buy some of the ranunculus but received only three leaves with no nodes and it did not grow. Next time I will make sure the seller is selling plants with nodes that will grow and not just leaves.

My tank is 29 gallons. I am using a drop checker with 4DHK solution and PH checker drops. It is staying green which is supposed to mean I have enough CO2. A few times it has gotten yellow which, according to the sticker that came with it, means there is too much CO2. I am diffusing it with a power head from an underground filter. I have a piece of thick hose on the outflow spout to slow down the water flow and it makes extremely tiny bubbles. My whole tank is covered with teeny, tiny micro bubbles. I ordered glutaraldehyde to boost my CO2. I am saving to get a pressurized CO2 system but it will be a while before I can afford one.

Anubias nana petite will do fine as long as it doesn't get too much light, Downoi might do okay with your lighting. Check your Pet Smart store as many are now carry Downoi and Staurogyne repens which could work. They are in Top Fin boxes. Hydrocotyle sp.Japan' and Ammania sp. ‘Bonsai’ which I have and love the look of.

thanks Rivercats. I will check out the plants you mentioned. I do not live near a Petsmart. The nearest chain pet store to me is Petland and they are 60+ miles away. I get there about once every couple of months. I do most of my shopping online. I live in a very rural area. The local pet store owner is trying to improve her stock and offer more but she is still very limited. I have been buying mostly from the classified here and at planted tank, aquabid, and Amazon.

+1 on Anubias nana, mine didn't grow for a while, but after about a month, it grows like wildfire!
Also banana plant!

i know petsmart for sure doesn't sell nana petite. they do sell regular nana. i suggest you do a search on aquabid or wait patiently for AA members to have nana petite for sale if that's the plant you're looking for

Back
Top Bottom