Suggestions for Plants that Work Well in a Low Tech Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to improve the (aquascaping) planted portion of my shrimp tank as the current set-up is a bit wild and overgrown (see photo below). Low tech, t5 lighting with no CO2. Little to no fertilization. What have you all found that works well. If you recommend fertilizer additions, what are your recommendations?

Personally the hornwort must go. To me that plant is only good for refugiums. It grows to crazy!! Look into getting more wood. They sell moss ledges that suction to the glass and people do some really cool things with those.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally the hornwort must go. To me that plant is only good for refugiums. It grows to crazy!! Look into getting more wood. They sell moss ledges that suction to the glass and people do some really cool things with those.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL, everyone says it is invasive, me I barely get it to hang on. It is hard to see, there is a large piece of mopani wood behind the cholla wood that is visible, you think I need more than that? I looked at those moss ledges, they look interesting - just not a big fan of suction cups, I find they fail to easily. Someone should do something with magnets - more more enduring. What moss grows well in this situation, but stays tight to what you place it on? That Java moss is all over the place, need to pull the mopani out and give it a haircut!

I've seen some people talking about magnet ones but I haven't seen them for sale, maybe they make them themselves. With moss you wouldn't want to use java. You'd want some of the more expensive types. However they would all need trimmed eventually. There is a member here I just can't think of his user name coursir maybe lol im not even sure I spelled that right. Whomever it is has a bunch of those ledges in a tank and it looks fabulous.

I seen the wood just wasn't sure how big it is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure if it helps but I've seen Xmas moss used for that. Not sure if its the best, I know nothing about it, just saw it used here on the forum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Han Aquatics has some great shrimp tank supplies...a big variety of mosses, pre-made ledges and mats, SS mesh to DIY. I have 2 of the mats with flame moss in my 5g, hoping to end up with a carpet look. Sorry if I missed it but how large is this tank?

Han Aquatics has some great shrimp tank supplies...a big variety of mosses, pre-made ledges and mats, SS mesh to DIY. I have 2 of the mats with flame moss in my 5g, hoping to end up with a carpet look. Sorry if I missed it but how large is this tank?

LOL, thanks I was looking at that particular site on Friday. I had to get off before I checked out, because I was racking up way to much money.

LOL, thanks I was looking at that particular site on Friday. I had to get off before I checked out, because I was racking up way to much money.

So that was your first time ordering from him? He's a very nice guy, active in FB shrimp groups. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from him.

So that was your first time ordering from him? He's a very nice guy, active in FB shrimp groups. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from him.

Would have been LOL, but I never actually ordered. Total was well over $100 so I decided I better wait a bit.

Back
Top Bottom