Suggestions for stocking my 70L freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StooBroo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Once my tank is established, quite a few weeks way, I am looking to add to the five guppies in there, thinking catfish or loaches.....anything interesting, all ideas most appreciated, as you can tell a total novice.
:)

Well 70 litres is quite small really.

My first tank was only 63litres and it was a hard learning curve to realise just how few fish could be housed in it.

If you're set on the guppies then you'll have to avoid any fin nippers as they'll shred a male guppy's tail quickly.

A handful of the smallest cory cats (Pygmy or panda?) would add a lot of hustle and bustle to the tank without adding any aggression, plus they clean up any food the guppies don't get to.

Are you gonna have live plants at all?

And what substrate are you gonna use?

Well 70 litres is quite small really.

My first tank was only 63litres and it was a hard learning curve to realise just how few fish could be housed in it.

If you're set on the guppies then you'll have to avoid any fin nippers as they'll shred a male guppy's tail quickly.

A handful of the smallest cory cats (Pygmy or panda?) would add a lot of hustle and bustle to the tank without adding any aggression, plus they clean up any food the guppies don't get to.

Are you gonna have live plants at all?

And what substrate are you gonna use?

Hi Scouser and thanks for replying, yes have a couple of plants in, one on a log the other on a broken pot, all from the fishy shop, and after one night the guppies seem to be happy. I do like the idea of the cory cats, definitely don't want any aggression, was thinking a bristle nose too? Or am I getting ahead of myself? What are your thoughts on loaches or other bottom dwellers?

Hi Scouser and thanks for replying, yes have a couple of plants in, one on a log the other on a broken pot, all from the fishy shop, and after one night the guppies seem to be happy. I do like the idea of the cory cats, definitely don't want any aggression, was thinking a bristle nose too? Or am I getting ahead of myself? What are your thoughts on loaches or other bottom dwellers?

Sadly, a BN needs a much bigger tank. I'm also not sure about any loaches that can be kept in that size of a tank but someone else might be able to chime in on that. If you were planning on cory cats they should add quite a bit of bottom activity. If you want more of a clean up crew either shrimp or nerite snails would be a great addition.

Sadly, a BN needs a much bigger tank. I'm also not sure about any loaches that can be kept in that size of a tank but someone else might be able to chime in on that. If you were planning on cory cats they should add quite a bit of bottom activity. If you want more of a clean up crew either shrimp or nerite snails would be a great addition.

Thanks Mebbid and sad news about the BNs as the seem like fun little fish which probably don't stay little for long which is the problem. I like the sound of the shrimp, can I have one with the cats or not? Maybe a few snails instead.

+1 here.

While BNs are small in pleco terms, they're still quite large!

Shrimp are really awesome and make any tank come alive.

But be warned, red cherry shrimp like to multiply ;)

+1 here.

While BNs are small in pleco terms, they're still quite large!

Shrimp are really awesome and make any tank come alive.

But be warned, red cherry shrimp like to multiply ;)

The multiplying is one of the best things about RCS! :) They will do just fine if kept with cory cats.

Totally agree! I love seeing my shrimp being followed by a bunch of TINY shrimp :D

Thanks Mebbid & Scouser and it sounds like a RCS for me along with the cats......can't wait to get them in, though will of course. Am going to try and get some pics today using my polarising filter :)

Just want to note that there is a possibility the guppies will snack on the baby RCS. Lots of hiding places/plants should help though. (y)

Back
Top Bottom