Suggestions for what to do next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barmer71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55gal tempered glass aquarium
200watt heater
biowheel filter
128watts light from t-8 bulbs
3'-3.5" Turface
eggcrate inset at top of aquarium to support lights

Some direction please. Wanted to something in the Amano style. Would this be enough light for ground covering plants like glasso or baby tears? If not any suggestions for a substitute for the set up I have? Wanting to make a bushier corner as well. Plan on using hornwort I know. Any other suggestions for this area using the lights I have? Buddy suggested a layer of laterite, but heard it was kinda pricey and I have all but exhausted my fish funds. Some one else suggested a thin layer of peat but there is a risk of ph spikes I believe. How about plant tabs? Liquid ferts? Would love to have a fool proof set of directions for a tried and true set up. I have a years worth of reef experience so I can handle the responsability. Looking for a set up that requires every other day or once a week attention and not daily. Any help appreciated. My tank thus far:
aquarium1.jpg

aquarium2.jpg

I don't think you'll be able to pull the Amano style off without daily maintenance, but you shouldn't have a problem putting a nice planted tank together. Look at adding a pressurized CO2 system for best results. Dry ferts are much cheaper than buying liquids.

Peat will lower pH, not raise it. Laterite can be bought for a few dollars from your local garden center if you're careful to get pure laterite, not stuff mixed with fertilizers and other chemicals. You have to keep the laterite buried or you'll risk an algae bloom.

I don't think you'll be able to pull the Amano style off without daily maintenance, but you shouldn't have a problem putting a nice planted tank together. Look at adding a pressurized CO2 system for best results. Dry ferts are much cheaper than buying liquids.

Peat will lower pH, not raise it. Laterite can be bought for a few dollars from your local garden center if you're careful to get pure laterite, not stuff mixed with fertilizers and other chemicals. You have to keep the laterite buried or you'll risk an algae bloom.

How deep for the laterite? I have my turface about and "1.5 in front and as high as 4"-5" on a hill I made. Anything good for a ground cover for my light set up and using laterite even if it something a little longer?

I'd keep at least 1/2" of substrate over the laterite.

No idea about ground cover. I haven't tried anything more difficult than water sprite or telanthera.

Normally when I've seen people use laterite, they put it down in the aquarium first (so on the glass) and then pile the substrate on top of it. That might be a bit difficult for you now since you already put the substrate in, but ideally you want the laterite as deep as you can possibly get it.

Thanks for the info. Decided to go with plant tabs and still might try some baby tears even if they grow slowly.

You need CO2 for dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callictrichoides) . Otherwise they will just melt away. I would try Dwarf Hairgrass as your first carpet. It's easy to manage, grows quickly and can be trimmed into fore/midground. Under high-light conditions regular baby tears (hemianthus micranthemoides) will grow low to the ground. However, in both cases, high light and no co2 is an invitation for algae.

I think if you want to layer like peat or something like that underneath your cap, the best method I've see was using eggcrate cut to size, and fill the holes with peat, and then cap.

Peat isn't really for buffering the water as it is just the substrate. You only need a fine dusting on the bottom glass of the tank to do it. Anymore would cause high ammonia.

Like the hairgrass idea. Doing a DIY CO2 to help. That or maybe the Seachem alternative for carbon.

Back
Top Bottom