Sump set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my new 90 gallon tank I am planning on making a reef tank however I need some good input on how to set up the sump I know I will need a protean skimmer but what should I put where anything you can tell me will help thanks a lot!

Here are some pictures of the sump

Attachments

• image-3448482731.jpg
    image-3448482731.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3726194549.jpg
    image-3726194549.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 96
I have not seen this type of sump. Does it have 4 chambers? There is really no set way to do it- depends on what you want to do. Yes you usually will put your skimmer in there and return pump at a minimum. A lot of people will put extra live rock in there or go with a refugium and grow macro algae. I'm sure you gave some thought to it when you purchased this model- what did you have in mind as far as how you would use it?

Well I though I would have the skimmer in the first chamber the "intake chamber" then the larger woul be some type I micro algae then the smallest chamber would have water probes and heater then the last chamber the return pumps

sump setup

hello, just wondering what size sump you got and how much and where you got it from, just wondering.

For the size il have to get back to you I got it from a local store wet pets by Steve in Norman ok have to get back to you on the price I think it was around 100?

The most common macro algae used are caulerpa and chaetomorpha. I use chaeto. Whatever works for you really- anything that will help to pull out nutrients.

Where the water overflow is with the black sponge there I was going to put small bags of carbon ontop of the sponge to help pull out some chems

The algae will lower nitrates and phosphates. Your beneficial bacteria in the system will take care of ammonia and nitrites. You could run carbon like the way you said.

I was thinking of getting a mandarin fish a red male female pair with a couple of clown ms and a couple of royal gramma but I heard that the mandarin eats Pollups or something from the coral what exactly is that? If you know a lol off topic from the sump but?

Mandarins only eat pods not polyps. You need a tank that is well established at least over a year old to ensure you have enough pods for the fish. You could def get the clowns and the gramma.

Back
Top Bottom