Swim bladder on every feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two fantail goldfish. One of them no matter how little I feed it (30 sec once per day). I even put the flakes under the water and it still didn't work. I did the no food for one day then peas and then still had the same results on the first feeding.

I have two fantail goldfish. One of them no matter how little I feed it (30 sec once per day). I even put the flakes under the water and it still didn't work. I did the no food for one day then peas and then still had the same results on the first feeding.

My recommendations:

Hold off on feeding for 2 days then toss in 8 or 10 peas (shelled) and let them eat as much as they can. If your tank is nice and clean, leave the leftovers in for them to forage over for the rest of the day. It doesn't happen right away, but it will. Feed them peas at least once a week to keep SBD away.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

I would try some Epsom salt in the dosage of 1tbls. per 5gal, do this slowly as this should act like a laxitive. Also what brand of flakes are you feeding them?

Mr. Limpet said:
My recommendations:

Hold off on feeding for 2 days then toss in 8 or 10 peas (shelled) and let them eat as much as they can. If your tank is nice and clean, leave the leftovers in for them to forage over for the rest of the day. It doesn't happen right away, but it will. Feed them peas at least once a week to keep SBD away.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

The goldfish are only about an inch and a quarter long not counting fins, is 8 to 10 peas to much?

HUKIT said:
I would try some Epsom salt in the dosage of 1tbls. per 5gal, do this slowly as this should act like a laxitive. Also what brand of flakes are you feeding them?

Aqueon or something like that. Aren't the peas suppose to be a laxative as well. Also I use some aquarium salt if that makes a difference.

Yes mines really like the peas as well. Can they survive on peas only?

Yes mines really like the peas as well. Can they survive on peas only?

Nope, peas help clean the digestive tract of goldfish, because they don't really absorb all the nutrients due to the quickness it passes thru them. It's the reason goldies are so dirty compared to other fish. I feed mine a variety of fish foods (floating and sinking) and veggies (peas (shelled), zucchini, blanched spinach, and squash).

The mind set that one particular food is all any fish ever needs is incorrect IMO. How would you (anyone really) like it if you got only one kind of food for every meal, everyday, for the rest of your life? Watch Soylent Green sometime lol.

Back
Top Bottom