Switched to eco complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickrollxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got rid of the sand and switched today. Hoping the plants will fair better with better growth. Looks a lot better also. Does anyone here use it and what are the outcomes?20170517_192111.jpg20170517_192048.jpg20170517_192033.jpg

I use it in numerous tanksand it is an adequate substrate but you will need to use some ferts for the plants.

+1

I like Eco-complete. For your tank, you'll need to supplement liquid or dry fertilizers for those stems. The amount will depend on the level of lighting. If you ever get any heavy root feeders, you'll have to supplement root tabs in time as the Eco-complete will eventually run low on substrate nutrients.

Recently went to the AGA 2017 Convention, where I had a bit of time to discuss some of the CaribSea products with the rep. Which I love the substrates and he mentioned that the newest addition to the Eco is Floraspore™ which is Mychorrizae varieties which cause the roots to branch and create a much stronger root system.

It has been used in agriculture for a hundred years. Since so many aquarium plants are already grown emmersed, I would imagine they are already using these in the green houses.

I would use it again now I know what I know about it. Just remember that is taken in the nutrients you dose and holds them on the grains. Take ferts slowly or you could end up with a toxic substrate pretty quickly.

I've used it for the last 4+ years in low light/low tech and high tech setups. It was fine for just about every plant I've grown with the exception of a very small carpeting plant (dwarf baby tears). I believe it is chemically inert so it won't affect pH and won't spike the ammonia levels.
Interesting to hear about the Floraspore product. Looks like CaribSea wants to stay in the race.

The bag did say floraspore. This should do well coated to what I had. The play sand was to compact. When I stirred it, it would smell.

Back
Top Bottom