switching filters advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will finally be upgrading from the crappy top fin 10 on my 10 gallon tank to a fluval 105. A while ago I gave up on the crappy carbon filters and put in a sponge first for mechanical and then the water passes through a ceramic pack for biological. Since the filter is not very efficient anyway, if I were to simply move the ceramic to the fluval when I set it up do you think I would avoid any kind of mini cycle?

Well, most of the bacteria would be on the media in the filter, not the filter itself. If I understand correctly, you're moving the stuff from the old filter into the fluval. If thats the case, you should be moving most of the bacteria, and don't forget you still got a ton in your sand/gravel.

Right that was my thought. I was thinking since there is virtually no bacteria in the filter and I will be moving the main source of media from the filter that I would be fine. I'm not really over stock at the moment anyway so I think I'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom