Switching Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I'm switching over my 8g tank from gravel to sand. I already have some sand cleaned but more to go. Just seeing if I have the whole technique down:
Clean sand
Remove everything from tank
Put in sand
Slowly add water and stuff in try not to stir up the sand
Put in fish
That's it right?
Here's just a few pictures of my tank and stuff for a beginning to end thing:)

Scouser said:
You can change to sand without emptying the tank, just remove the fish and turn of the filter(s)

Hope someone else can help more than me tho!

Cool that sounds like a good way to go! I'm not sure how that'd happen but it's nice to hear theres a way to do it that way!

You could be really careful and leave the fish in. Scoop out all if the gravel, then add sand one cupful at a time.

But your method may be the way to go because it would be hard to get the cories out of the way.

Yeah the cories love to zip around all the time! I think that I'm going to go my way because it seems to be the most careful. I only have 1 other tank with sand so I'm a bit precautious....

AquaKai said:
Yeah the cories love to zip around all the time! I think that I'm going to go my way because it seems to be the most careful. I only have 1 other tank with sand so I'm a bit precautious....

Good luck! :)

If u can when u start to fill it back up put something in the tank like a rock or even a bowl so you can use it to displace the water current so you don't knock up as much stand

fishnewbe420 said:
If u can when u start to fill it back up put something in the tank like a rock or even a bowl so you can use it to displace the water current so you don't knock up as much stand

Ok thanks for the info! Thats a great idea! You just saved me from a lot of yelling at the sand:). :thanks:

That's gonna look really good with sand!

Nice princess notebook btw lol :D

George9 said:
That's gonna look really good with sand!

Nice princess notebook btw lol :D

Oh yeah, my notebook:). It's pretty awesome! I'm so excited to see how this'll end up!

Here it is! Its a bit dusty still but hopefully it'll clear up soon! It looks really good IMO:D. How soon should I put in the fish? When it clears down?

George9 said:
It looks soo good!

Thanks!!! I think that the next thing that I'll do is add a background. But that can wait for a while:). My cories seem the be thrilled that they have sand to play in! It's so cute!!

Back
Top Bottom