Switching substrates and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacelizard

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soooo ... I attempted my first planted tank a couple months ago with a 20g L, gravel and a Fluval LED, root tabs and Flourish. Suffice to say, the plants grew but the green algae was ridiculous. Eventually, I ripped out all the plants and the algae problem has gotten better but still gets ugly if I go more than a couple days without a PWC.

So my questions are thus:

Most of the BB lives in the filter, but some does reside in the gravel, so if I were to pull out all the gravel at once and replace it with Eco-Complete, would I risk losing my cycle or cause a mini-cycle?

What light should I switch to because I can't deal with the algae and I don't wanna dump money into a pressurized CO2 system? I've been reading up on PAR values, low-mid-hi light plants and distance between light and substrate. Based on that, my understanding is I'd wanna go with a light hood that supports T8 bulbs, right? I've had a hard time finding the right length T8's and T8's in general. Are they being phased out? Can I replace them with T5's? I think they're also called T5NO. I know I can't go with the T5HO because it'd be too intense.

Sorry for the ramble. Just frustrated with the tank and can't find a good solution so that I can finally get up and running

Soooo ... I attempted my first planted tank a couple months ago with a 20g L, gravel and a Fluval LED, root tabs and Flourish. Suffice to say, the plants grew but the green algae was ridiculous. Eventually, I ripped out all the plants and the algae problem has gotten better but still gets ugly if I go more than a couple days without a PWC.

So my questions are thus:

Most of the BB lives in the filter, but some does reside in the gravel, so if I were to pull out all the gravel at once and replace it with Eco-Complete, would I risk losing my cycle or cause a mini-cycle?

What light should I switch to because I can't deal with the algae and I don't wanna dump money into a pressurized CO2 system? I've been reading up on PAR values, low-mid-hi light plants and distance between light and substrate. Based on that, my understanding is I'd wanna go with a light hood that supports T8 bulbs, right? I've had a hard time finding the right length T8's and T8's in general. Are they being phased out? Can I replace them with T5's? I think they're also called T5NO. I know I can't go with the T5HO because it'd be too intense.

Sorry for the ramble. Just frustrated with the tank and can't find a good solution so that I can finally get up and running

I have changed from gravel to a bare bottom tank with only a small ammonia increase. Same with adding more gravel to double it.

The weekend before I would suggest doing a very large gravel vac as I found all the muck coming out of the gravel a problem as well.

I don't know these lights but it sounds like an imbalance somewhere and my first thought would be to reduce the lighting down to 4 to 6 hours if not already the case?

Whenever I do a change in substrate, I collect the old substrate (or portion) and place it in either a large media bag, (I have even used a "knee-hi" stocking), and after replacing the new substrate, set the bag of old substrate in the tank for a good week to ten days. Don't replace filter media at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom