Switching Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now i have a 29 gallon tank thats been running for about a month or so. my cousin is going to give me his 55 gallon tank. so i have a couple questions

1. how much would that tank weigh so i can have a stand properly built.

2. how would i go transferring everything. just siphon the water from my tank now into the big tank..

I only have 2 fish left now. the pleco was found outside the tank today ( can they jump out of the water??)

Count on 600 lb or so for a 55. If you have a stand custom build, you might consider making it deeper (front to back) & good for 1500 lb or so. Then you can have up to a 90 or a 120 in the future. <And over building is never bad ....>

At 600 lb or so, you need to consider placement as well. It needs to go across joists, preferable over a load bearing support wall, or as close to one as you can make it ... otherwise the floor may sag.

To transfer without creating a new cycle -
1. Move all the substrate, decor, plants, etc. Everything that is in the tank. <It will be easier to have fish in clean buckets with your tank water during this time.>
2. Move & run the filter of the 29 in the 55. Run it with the 55's filter for a few weeks before removing it. <keep the filter wet in tank water at all times ... more buckets!>
3. You don't have to move the water - there is not much good stuff in it. It is easier & better to start with new (dechlorinated) water in the new tank.
4. Transfer the fish from the buckets to the new tank after it is all set up & temp is up. <If you can do it in a couple hrs, the fish can just stay in buckets, any longer, & it is better to run heaters & the filter in the bucket. I once had my fish in a 30 gal bucket with filter for over a week while I do up the new tank.>
5. check levels for the next few days in case you have a mini-cycle & need to do a few pwc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom