Swollen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
this guy isn't normally this bloated. But he seems to be acting normal, a lot of energy

Attachments

• image-4007989680.jpg
    image-4007989680.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1682698294.jpg
    image-1682698294.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image-730459074.jpg
    image-730459074.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 92
It's a female, and it's pregnant.

I can't just leave you with the above answer. Haha
That looks like a type of platty. And it just may be pregnant. Most live breeders are pregnant before they leave the store. The females have an anal fun where as the males have a modified anal fin. That basically means the males have a penis.

Here is a picture of a male guppy, and a drawing of male and female plates.

I hope this helps. And if you need more information let me know.

Attachments

• image-1419458928.jpg
    image-1419458928.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3562309685.jpg
    image-3562309685.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 78
Thanks! This means I have 2 fish ready to pop in my tank now. I've had them for over 2 months. So that must mean the sunburst platty Is a male.
Are they live bearers as well?

Thanks! This means I have 2 fish ready to pop in my tank now. I've had them for over 2 months. So that must mean the sunburst platty Is a male.
Are they live bearers as well?

Not really. Females can store sperm for up to 4-6 months. Maybe if you get a pic of the sunburst we could help?

Yes they are live breeders. Plates guppies mollies and swordtails are live breeders.

You may not have a male in the tank. Just because she is pregnant doesn't mean that she bread in your tank. Generally it takes about a month for a live breeder to birth, but the female will delay pregnancy if conditions are not favorable, and she can have multiple births even after being separated from the male.

If you want to be sure if you have males or females, just google the subject, and you should get some good answers.

Basically the females have the long flat anal fin that looks like a normal fin. It also usually sticks out. . The males have an anal fin that doesn't look much like a fin. It is a round structure, and it doesn't really stick out. It just flows along the fishes body.

I have done a little bit more research and my sunburst is a girl as well. So it sounds like a mystery to me guys!

No mystery. They were just likely in a tank with males at the fish store. They were breeding there and they didn't let the their eggs get fertilized until they were in a a nice tank with plenty of room and clean water.

I have done a little bit more research and my sunburst is a girl as well. So it sounds like a mystery to me guys!

Congratations you have the potential to be a father 9 times :/ good luck! Haha :)

Congratations you have the potential to be a father 9 times :/ good luck! Haha :)
wow, that's the best news I've heard all week!!!! Lol.. Not. Well hopefuly my lfs won't mind a donation

Back
Top Bottom