Swords with Ick and fungus?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aisforangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a 55g tank with an undergravel filter and small submersible filter. I then stocked it with some swordtails, platies, and mollies. Of course some of them ended up sick. My parameters, 0 ammonia,0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and 7.0 pH all look good since we're just beginning the cycle. I also added stress zyme and of course prime. One or two of the ten have a fine cottony fungus on the tip of their tails and a few of them have the beginning signs of ick, a few grains of salt. I began treating them with quickcure but I don't think that will cure any of that type of fungus. It says it will work on some fungi like the body slime kind. Any suggestions? I haven't had to medicate a fishtank in a few years. Thanks!
-Adam

I wonder if the heat treatment (86*) for ich and some Melafix/Pimafix would work? I hope someone else will chime in too.
Good luck! :)

For ich, I have used the heat tratment with salt in the entire tank (African cichlids) rather than medicating, 82-84 degrees F and not sure about the water/salt ratio but I didn't use much, something like a tablespoon for every 5-10 gallons. I dont know how this would affect the fungus though.

Fungus medication would be in order. Jungles fungus clear is cheap and readily available but be warned most of these contain meth blue or malachite green which can effect the nitrogen cycle and stain everything in the tank including the silicone.

I would try the Pimafix and Melafix first in a QT tank. If the fungus gets worse then try the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom