swordtail with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all ive just placed a swordtail into an uncycled qt tank with a dose of phenoxyethanol and im wondering if i should be doing pwcs i took some media and a slice of filter sponge out of my established tank to aid the filtration. im concerned about ammonia levels with an uncycled tank and the meds just say to repeat the dose in 7 days. any advice?
cheers

Really the best remedy for fin rot is clean water. It should heal just fine on its own. Low key PWC are key when treating fin rot. No additives needed. :)

shes got all white patches on her head which is a bacterial infection i think. i lost one sword last week after a 4 day camping trip the same way. now shes come down with it to. i do weekly 50% changes routinely my params are fine and none of the other fish seem to be affected by it so i think my water is clean unless ive got an infection in there. but in the past 6 months i lost 3 dwarf gouramis which i put down to dg disease. i have had polka dot loaches in there the longest and they are fine. ive even started doing 70-80% pwcs to try and ensure the waters clean enough. my filter pads and media were replaced recently (one at a time) so i wanted get a qt tank. shes perked up since i dosed her up and i just need to kno if daily pwcs are required with the bacterial/fungal treatment.

To treat fin rot check and improve water quality as necessary. Identify and remove fin-nipper. Feed vitamin C- enriched food. Treat with anti fungal remedy

i dont think theres a fin nipper no other fish are a problem. i do regular water changes upto
80% according to params. my question was while using fungal meds in an uncycled qt tank should i be doin pwcs and redosing. my ammonia trites and trates are fine in my main tank. if water quality is an issue i dont kno what else to do

lornajane89 said:
i dont think theres a fin nipper no other fish are a problem. i do regular water changes upto
80% according to params. my question was while using fungal meds in an uncycled qt tank should i be doin pwcs and redosing. my ammonia trites and trates are fine in my main tank. if water quality is an issue i dont kno what else to do

If your parameters are fine then pwc are not needed but make sure they don't spike

Back
Top Bottom