Syphon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to setup an auto topoff from my water storage container to my sump. The water will trave from a submursible Mag pump up about 7 feet than go horizontal for several feet and drop down to the sump in the next room. The output will be close to the same level as the input.

Do I have to worry about a syphon being created when the pump is off? Or, will the fact that the hose will go up vertically first not allow for a syphon?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Two ways to stop this from siphoning. !st is to add a one way valve inline of the supply pipe. The other is to dill a small hole at the end of the supply over the 2nd sump. This way when the pump cuts off only what is in the pipe will drain out and no siphon will occur. I hope that made sense and good luck.

Thanks. I am a little curious to understand how a one way valve will stop a siphon from occuring. Does the siphon not have enough pressure to hold the one-way valve open?

Thanks again,
Pete R.

A syphon will always occur if the supply is below the output and the output is in the water. A check valve will (one way flow valve) will stop water form backing up. the other way is to keep the output end of the hose out of the water so that it gets air not water when the pump stops. That is the same prmeise as the holw in the hose above the water line.

Back
Top Bottom