T8 Light Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im thinking about getting a T8 light system (dual lights) for my 20gallon, but im baffled on how you install one.
Im open to all suggestions, but i saw a T8 system the other day and it looked good.
I've also seen T5's but i would need to be confident i could make a go of it before i'd invest in one.

I only want to get around 2wpg for my tank, i dont want anything thats difficult to manage.
All that im trying to do is expand my choice of plants and increase the health of my current ones and insure i can be confident that new plants will thrive.
i understand that i will need some form of C02 aswell, also some fertiliser maybe?

I have tried high light before and it was a nightmare!

The hood that came with my tank is standard and built for the typical light that you get with the tank.
Now, i would need to buy a new hood that has the correct fitment's for a T8 system but i've looked in stores and on e-bay and i cant seem to find one anywhere!

The standard hood, is it a T12 system?

What T8 kit are you looking at? Depending on the kit will determine how you'd need to install it.

The standard hood, is it a T12 system?

What T8 kit are you looking at? Depending on the kit will determine how you'd need to install it.

I believe it is a T12 system yes.

I'm not sure on which T8 system yet, its all very much thoughts at the moment, but i want to try and gather up as much info as possible about them.
I will have to start looking online and in shops though.

If you're just purchasing a new fixture, then you would need to remove the deluxe hood. You can either run open top or add a glass canopy (your fixture may factor in to this choice as some shouldn't be run over and open top). The fixture is then mounted by any of a variety of means including using legs, resting it on the canopy, or hanging.

Since you're talking about sticking to medium light, you probably won't have to use CO2 if you don't want to and the fertilization won't be as demanding either.

Back
Top Bottom