taking the plunge :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a really cool piece of driftwood yesterday and want to go with a more natural look for my 50 gallon. I want to start with some real plants. I have been reading all of your posts and the stickys and want to make sure I have things straight in my head ;)

I have a 50 gallon - lights that came with the hoods. Fish are: Cory Cats, a Dwarf Gourami, Bosemani Rainbows and Otos. Substrate is PFS.

With the lighting I have, I can do java fern and java moss? What are a couple other common plants that I could use? I would need to get fertilizer also, correct? Which plants will need to be attatched to my driftwood and which ones can be put in the PFS? What should I expect to pay for live plants?

You don't need fertilizers for stock lighting. You can also try anubias and anacharis. Stock lighting isn't very strong. Java fern and moss are cheap. I can get it a dollar per clump at my LFS.

Thanks Crepe. So the lower the lighting, the less you need fertilizers?

I can just put these plants in and they will grow on their own (the fish will fertilize the, right?)

Yes because a plants rate of consumption of nutrients is proportional the light it gets. Java fern and moss are not to be planted in the substrate;neither is anubias. They do best when their rhizome is being hit by light and is surround by water. Mount them to rock and wood.

Got it.

What about Vals and Crypts and Anacharis? Do they need to be planted or attached to driftwood?

If your stock lighting is just the plant/aquarium bulbs that puts off the purplish color you might want to go to Lowes, Ace, Home Depot or even Walmart and get a 6500K daylight bulb (or 2 if your lightstrip is a double) The plant/aquarium bulbs aren't the right spectrum for vals and crypts. Mine weren't doing well at all until I changed to the daylight bulbs. Even though in a few of our tanks, like our 55 and 29 the bulbs are low wattage, there was a big difference in how the plants are growing.

I got three plants today. I got Java Moss - the guy that owns the LFS is so funny - he said he has not bought Java Moss in eighteen years - it just grows like crazy. I have a nice little handful that I split in to two chunks and attached to my driftwood. I also got an Anubias and a Moneywort (?) from PetSmart - our PetSmart here actually has really nice plants. They are nicer than the LFS (other than his Java Moss). The lady at PS said they were low on plants if I wanted to come back Tuesday - heck, I thought their stuff looked great. I am going to go back Tuesday and get more to fill things in a bit.

moneywort is the common name for bacopa monerii (i just guessed, i dont know how to spell monerii and i'm too lazy to open up another web page and check. even though i probably spent more time in writing this in parenthesis)

be carefull, you lucked out buying real aquatic plants at petsmart. do your homework on non aquatics before you go back

Back
Top Bottom