Talk to me about QT's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A QT can range from 10 gallons to 50+ ...Wish i had a 55 just recently but all i use is a 30 gallon tote now...Used to use a 29 but turned it into an angler tank..

So a tote would work? I kinda want one but I don't want to have to run it non stop I would like to have it for new fish but if it needs live rock then it would need to run non stop so it don't keep cycling right?

A tote will work .No need to run it all the time.Do you have a heater and an HOB filter?
I always put a couple small pieces of LR and some media from my DT in ..No cycle that way..You can even scoop some sand from DT if needed

20-40g is plenty for most animals. All you need is a sponge filter, heater, and pvc for hiding. This can also be "Searched." As for cycling, avoid it by doing 50% water changes daily and no, it doesn't need to stay running 24/7. As a matter of fact, you should sterilize inbetween fish qt periods.

Also, you can take a filter pad out of your sump brcause it has some bacteria and will help with the "cycling".

If you perform 50% water changes daily then there won't be NH3 to process while the bacteria count stabilizes. In addition, most meds will interfere with parameter testing anyways.

If you perform 50% water changes daily then there won't be NH3 to process while the bacteria count stabilizes. In addition, most meds will interfere with parameter testing anyways.

Sorry...total newbie. If I already cycled the tank and at the moment will be using it to introduce a new fish, not treat any diseases (fingers crossed), is it ok for it to be cycled?

It's okay for the tank to be cycled. They were referring to the tank didnt need to be cycled if u did daily 50% water changes. I was wanting to know this info cause I don't want my QT to run year around. Just when I need it.

It's okay for the tank to be cycled. They were referring to the tank didnt need to be cycled if u did daily 50% water changes. I was wanting to know this info cause I don't want my QT to run year around. Just when I need it.

Thank you. I was just making sure. This hobby can get complicated. Don't want to do anything wrong!

Back
Top Bottom