Tall tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody have any first hand experience of tall tanks?
I was all set to setup the 200g(UK) tank I acquired but am wondering if I could build a tank of similar volume but with a smaller footprint than the 66"x36" one I've got (my wife's not quite so keen on the monster tank as I am!!!).
I was thinking of doing a tank 48" long by 36" (or maybe even 42" or 48" if feasible) tall. The problem being that all the glass thickness calculators tell me I'll need 25mm thick glass to maintain the safety factor of 3.8 which would result in the bare tank alone weighing in at over 300kg (660lbs) and cost an absolute fortune!
I've seen some deep manufactured tanks and none of them seemed to be anywhere near 25mm glass so I'd have to deduce that bracing at the top would reduce the thickness of glass needed, but to what extent?
So here's my point. Anyone have a tall tank 42" or 48" tall? What thickness glass is it and how's it braced.
Thanks

That's a VERY tall tank. Limits fish choices, and hard to maintain due to height. With a four foot stand you'll need a stepladder to reach it

I will just tell you that I have a 20 extra tall tank that is 24" high. I dread having to move a plant in. It's just very deep to reach into. So deep that if I move something in the tank my entire arm is in the tank and my wife has to direct the placement. 36" tall.......you better have Sasquatch arms! Just say'in!

Everything gets harder the taller a tank gets. Reach, circulation, aeration, lighting, cleaning, filtration, decorating... Believe me, tank cost won't be the worst thing about it, just the first issue.

Thanks for the input folks but seems I won't be building a super tall tank (for now at least!).
Am picking up a Juwel Rio 400 tomorrow :) (happy happy!!,joy joy!!)
Buys me some time (and my fish some breathing room - literally) while I persuade my wife to let me set up the 200g(UK) monster that's sitting idle in my garden!!!

Back
Top Bottom