Tank Additives and Supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, as my tank matures, I'm finding I need things I hadn't thought about... like phosphate removing resin.

What should I be putting in my tank/filter on a regular basis? So far I have live rock, aragonite, a couple powerheads, a protein skimmer, canister filter with carbon, phosphate removing resin, fine filter floss, a filter sponge, bio balls and that's about it. I add liquid food for the mushrooms anemones once in awhile.

Should I be adding reef supplements or any other additive I haven't learned about in the course of getting things going?

Should I be adding reef supplements or any other additive I haven't learned about in the course of getting things going?
No. Try regualr PWC first. This should keep levels appropriate. Reef suppliments are pretty spendy so waer changes are a better way to go.

You shouldn't add suppliments until you're testing for them and know for a fact that you need to increase levels. Stuff like iodine/dide is toxic when even slightly over-dosed.

PWC should keep iodine/strontium/magnesium levels good. Calcium and alkalinity buffers would be the only thing you might need to consider, but only if you have inverts/corals and/or coralline algae.

I have been testing for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, specific gravity. Should I be concerned about oxygen?

I have two cleaner shrimps, snails and a hermit crab, a serpent star and turbo snails.

Back
Top Bottom