Tank Black Out without Airstone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is at the end of day two of a total black out but it just dawned on me that I did not add an airstone, will my fish be okay without one?

I read that the lack of oxygen could cause fish deaths if there not enough water circulation. Anyone else do a total 3-4 day blackout without adding an airstone?

It's not heavily planted, more moderate than heavy and I do have my filter going with the spray bar up high so that there is water movement, just not alot. I am going to remove the blanket when I get home from work this evening. I just pray that all my fish are okay.

It was just covered with a blanket? Then you probably won't have any problems. When I did it I first covered the tank with a black Glad plastic bag (completely impervious to light), then with blankets. That required an air source since the plastic bag would not allow for gas transfer. Your fish should be fine.

I think you will be fine. In fact, I didn't know you were supposed to use an airstone. I did a 3.5 day blackout last week, and didn't use an airstone. My tank was moderately planted, and I used a layer of towels and a layer of blankets to cover it up.

An airstone would not hurt. My tank would not have enough O2 if my plants were not making it. I don't have much surface agitation as I try to keep CO2 that I am injecting in. If I left my lights off for more than one night my fish would most likely be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom