Tank Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys quick question, Ive got my 29 gal tank setup (30 long) and it has a marineland emperor 400 on it. Since it is a bio wheel filter there seems to be almost no current in the tank, I have a bubbler in it as well.

Im basically just watching some of the bubbles in the water move and they dont really have any pattern they move in. They do move but not like they do in my smaller 10 gal.

Would I need to add a small water pump to create a current? I could also modify the hood to put the HOB filter in the center of the tank (since it has two outputs).

Any advice would be great!

You may not be able to see it, but if you are running a 400 gph filter in a 29 gallon tank, you definitely have circulation. There is no need for a powerhead.

Actually more fish like calmer water. Who wants to be knocked around. Saltwater has more circulation requirements. With emperor 400, I had 2 on 125 and had plenty of movement. Double check ur filter.

+1
Unless you have hill stream loaches or other fish used to highly airated and fast flowing water, you don't need a power head. Most fish like less currents.

Thanks for the replies guys!

What I actually did was take a piece of Styrofoam and superglue a few pieces of substrate to it to make it neutrally buoyant. I plopped it in the tank and was able to watch the circulation. Theres no real "current" so to speak but there is plenty of circulation so I think im good.

Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom