Tank circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a 20l that houses 2 Figure 8 Puffers. I use an Aquaclear 50 filter mounted in the middle. Seems adequate for filtering but the flow leaves stuff sitting in the back of each corner.

Should I consider getting a power head or a Sunsun canister to setup spray bar? maker if so how many gpm. Tank has a rather large piece of DW on one side and I'm slowly getting my plants in for the right.

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also have 2 figure 8 puffers. To help with waste, I also have about 10 ghost shrimp and some MTS. They keep the tank pretty spotless. I would consider some cleaners instead of adding more current to a small tank. One of my puffers occasionally gets stuck to the filter intake. I don't think they like the current that much.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well shrimp won't work. They went after a couple of ghost I put in. I don't want a snail out break so that's not much of an option either.

Sorry forgot a pic. Tanks a bit cloudy added more Java ferns this morning and topped off some areas with sand.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429974306.977317.jpg

Did you mean to say a 20L?

Honestly, stuff in the back corner is a job for the siphon. You'll never have a filter that gets everything.

Well shrimp won't work. They went after a couple of ghost I put in. I don't want a snail out break so that's not much of an option either.

They will go after shrimp, but if you have enough of them, they will not eat them all. I have had a community of 10-15 ghost shrimp with my puffers for several months now. I have my tank heavily decorated. It gives the shrimp plenty of places to hide and thrive. About the snails, puffers eat snails, so you probably wouldn't have an outbreak and it would be free food. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes I said 20L.. That's why a asked if a spray bar might be better since it would provide more even flow.

Hopefully once my plants get here I can try shrimp again. I know they eat snails but I feed them Brine and now don't care for snails much now..

20 liters as in about 5 gallons? You should worry about flow later and prioritize upgrading to at least a 110L tank. Your tank isn't big enough for two dwarf puffers, let alone two figure 8's.

20 liters as in about 5 gallons? You should worry about flow later and prioritize upgrading to at least a 110L tank. Your tank isn't big enough for two dwarf puffers, let alone two figure 8's.

No it's a 20 gal long tank! I've been keeping fish for 6 yrs I know when they get bigger they'll need an upgrade.

No it's a 20 gal long tank! I've been keeping fish for 6 yrs I know when they get bigger they'll need an upgrade.

Oh, I thought you said it was a 20 liter tank which is 5 gallons! 20 gallons is actually an okish size for two of them for a while. I apologize for the confusion, stupid me :facepalm:

If you have flow prblems in the corners why not just add a pair of sponge filters to pick up that stuff? Aeration, biofiltration, and some mild flow. You don't want too much flow with puffers.

No problem! Crazy phone is always changing stuff.... The sponge is a good idea. I might have an extra from my shrimp tanks I can tryout.

Back
Top Bottom