Tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Am about 2 weeks into a fish in cycle. Up to now I haven't cleaned the substrate but am doing PWCs regularly (25%) to control levels. This seems to be working ok. I have noticed that the water has taken on a green tinge in the last day or two. Am I safe to give the substrate a Hoover, tank sides a wipe and the a filter clean? Or will this upset things a little too much in these early stages?

I wouldn't mess with the filter at all. I'd do a light gravel vacuuming to get gunk out, and maybe swipe the algae off the viewing side of the tank if there is any.

If you have green water consider cutting back on your lighting schedule and see if it helps.

Thanks, the room the tank is in gets natural sunlight in the morning for about an hour, but by lunch time just ambient light. I normally have the tube lighting on from 5pm till 10pm just to help the plants along. Might cut this down to just 2 hours per night tops. There's only 2 plants in, so i wouldnt think they need a lot of additional light.

I certainly won't squeeze the filter sponges out at this stage, more just check to make sure there are no blockages or trapped debris. I will do a light clean of the substrate, wipe inside of the glass and 25% PWC tonight and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom