Tank crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey so I was wondering what should you do when your tank crashes?

Try to see why it crashed first and fix that. Sometimes you need to start over :(

Ok well I put some filter media from a different tank into mine. So far that really isn't helping my no2 still isn't staying down. I have no idea what caused it.

It happened Saturday. My 50 gallon tank started to crash. Most of my fish died and I only have 5 or 6 left. I can't find a reason that caused it. There were no power outages. I took some filter media from my brothers 10 gal and added it into my canister filter. I haven't really seen any difference with the tests. So I don't think the filter media really helped. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

We need to know what you mean by "crashed." Did the pH drop? Did the ammonia shoot through the roof?

If it's an ammonia issue, what is the reading? Do lots of water changes by siphoning the substrate and don't feed for a few days.

Can you provide us with your water parameters?

David

So is the nitrite spiking and that's what you mean by crashed? How high is the nitrite? Media from a 10 gal probably wouldn't be enough to sustain a 55 gal tank full of fish. So this happened after the power went out? How long was the power out and did your filter media stay wet during that time?

In any case, do extra water changes to get nitrite as low as you can, preferably <.25. Keep doing water changes with dechlorinator until things level out again. Also re-test your tap water, make sure ammonia and/or nitrites aren't coming from the tap water (sometimes municipalities make changes to the water treatments).

Ok sorry everyone. I typed out the last few posts on my iPhone so it may be a little hard to read. Here is the full story.

I came home from a two day concert on Saturday. I had fed and taken care of my fish before I left. I have gone out before longer than two days and my aquarium does fine. Well anyways, I came home and noticed my fish were floating on the surface. The were still alive so I assumed they were lacking oxogen. I adjusted my canister filter's output pipe so it would create more surface agitation. I then left to take a class. I came home two hours later to find all but, seven fish dead. I promptly removed the dead fish. Did a test on my water. Temp was normal, but Ammonia was 2 ppm and No2 was 3ppm. I did a 50% water change and let it sit for a few hours. The fish started to move around a lot more and become active again. The Ph. was not changed so that wasn't a factor. I did another water change and left it for the day. The next day one of my corys died. I kept up with the water changes except the no2 wasn't really going down. I then took some filter media from my brothers 10 gal tank and added it to my canister filter. The next day the ammonia was pretty much diminished. it was less than .25 ppm and less after water changes. No2 was still through the roof. So now the couple of day I have been doing 50% water changes two or three times a day. Testing regularly. No fish have died since the cory. Although all my fish are breathing heavily. Is there anything to do?

my tank is 50 gallons

I have a ehim canister filter that has never failed me.

according to my family there were NO power failures.

Nobody tampered with my tank while I was gone. (also nobody fed either)

I have no idea what caused it.

I have beach sand as a substrate.

this tank has been running for more than a year.

so any help would be great!

Here is a plan I may default to. I will go get a 10 gallon tank. Move my fish over to that one. I'll take my brother's filter media out of the 50 gal and use it to insta-cycle the new 10 gal. Then pretty much start over with my 50 gal. dosing it up to 4 ppm of ammonia and so on.

p.s. I can't move my fish to my brothers tank. I have tiger barbs and he has a betta in his.

That seems very strange to have happened in two days! Did you forget some water changes for the last few months or something (its ok, it happens to the best of us if it did). A tank that has been going for a year should not have something like this happen in such a short amount of time. Are there kids in the house? Did something maybe get dropped in there by accident? Even with a filter not running for a couple days, you should be fine. They may need a good water change and a little TLC, but not to the level that you are taking.

Either way, keep doing your water changes, it seems that it has leveled off, which is good. If you do not have plants, be sure to keep vacuuming the gravel. I am happy for you that you could save what you did, and feel bad that this happened. Just keep at it, and you will get back in order. if the water changes are working, you can probably start tapering them off slowly to 25% every few days or so. Just be sure to keep a good close eye on them for the next few weeks.

Good luck!

I don't think I'd be so fast to tear it down and start over. Keep up on your water changes as everything you have done so far is good. Your ammonia dropped so see if your nitrites drop now and your nitrates increase. Also this would be a good time while doing alot of water changes to really give your substrate a good cleaning. Once your readings are all good again I'd give the tank a couple weeks and add a few new fish. Don't know what you stock but I would put in the hardiest species you want to keep first. Then monitor your tank readings for a couple weeks to let the BB catch up to the new bi-load and start over with more fish. I've been in the hobby 30+ years and can tell you every once in a while something will happen in a tank that defies any explanation. We know it happened but truely can't pin point why. You've taken proper steps to begin restoring the tanks balance so ride the rest of it out and I think you'll be glad you did, that is unless your just looking for a reason to redo your tank... lol.

What is your water conditioner? And do you gas off your water before using it? I lost an ENTIRE TANK OF Fish to not gassing off. I got the answer one day from somone else sudden death after a water change. Cold water, or water not allowed to rest or aerate hold on to more gas impurities. I didn't know that, and every winter I lost fish after a water change. nothing like last winter though only 3 survivors. Now every winter I have gallons of one gallon jugs on my counter for hours, or with an air stone. I also fill from the shower head in the bath tub. Think me crazy, but what do you expect I am a fish keeper?

I and many others use water changers, I use an aqueon that I do a 50% WC weekly on my 220g and other smaller tanks. The water comes straight out of the faucet at the correct temp without any gassing off time. In the 30+ years I've been in the hobby I've never gassed off a gallon of water I've used to do WC's with. It's fine if you want to take the time to do it but it certainly isn't necessary.

Ok well our water is from tap. We live out away from civilization. In a nice valley. Our well is very deep. We have some of the greatest water around. Iv'e tested it and it comes out clean. Also I've taken it to a local fish store and they said it was extremely good. They said I don't even have to use PRIME. Although I do just because I feel that I should. Also I use PRIME.

Do you run a Co2 system by any chance?

The spikes could have been from the dead fish although I'm not sure what killed them. I wouldn't move a 55 gal tank's fish load to a 10 gal; ammonia is going to rise quickly, the fish will be overcrowded and stressed. Media from a 10 gal tank isn't going to support a large number of fish. I'd keep them in the 55. Vacuum the substrate very well, make sure no decaying fish are in there, suck up any old food and fish waste which can also cause toxin spikes. Check under/behind decor for dead fish, vacuum underneath. Maybe check your canister too for dead fish inside and swish the media lightly in old tank water to loosen any debris. If your source water has 0 nitrites, then large water changes should be reducing the amount of nitrite in the tank, at least temporarily. Test the water daily, do extra water changes as needed. The tank should sort itself out again. If it doesn't then there's something else going on.

Well I checked the nitrites today. Turned out they are went down a lot! Nearly .25 ppm! So this is defiantly an improvement! I don't run Co2 so that isn't a problem.

Hey guys,

So I tested my water today and after a full week. Here are the results

My tanks is now completely clean. No more no2 or ammonia

Attachments

• image-2928669143.jpg
    image-2928669143.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom