Tank improvement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

posenergy

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's up everyone. This is my 10G saltwater currently FOWLR. Clearly I have some problems with it that keep coming back like diatoms and some red purple growth that I can't identify. All I have is rock, a maroon clown, and an emerald crab. My parameters are average and I do weekly water changes though I have missed some. What should I do to improve? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644605.557298.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644623.496430.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644642.112177.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644658.631976.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644677.045582.jpg

Cyano - Develops in low flow areas. I would increase your flow. Algae builds up from eating Phosphates and Nitrates, so I would test those.

Clownfish- Do you have a bigger tank you can move him too? Maroons generally need a 30g aquarium.

Welcome to AA!

Cyano - Develops in low flow areas. I would increase your flow. Algae builds up from eating Phosphates and Nitrates, so I would test those.

Clownfish- Do you have a bigger tank you can move him too? Maroons generally need a 30g aquarium.

Welcome to AA!

Thanks yeah he's doing really well in here and everybody said if he's happy to leave him there so I plan to keep him there unless I upgrade. Also I heard cyano is stringy and harmful but it hasn't been either one so I don't know if that's what it is. I might buy a power head but that seems pointless in a 10G with pretty good flow already. Both my phosphate and nitrate levels are perfect according to my Red Sea tests.

What's your turnover rate?
Cyano isn't always stringy. It is also called "Red Slime" because it appears as you have it. Slimy and a redish color.

As for continuing with the clownfish, it isn't really if he is happy. His body will continue to stay small in that environment, but his organs will continue to grow. Thus creating issues with the fish.

That's the first person to ever say that to me in my life! If he seems unhappy i'll move him but for now I won't. How do I get rid for good of the cyano?

Clowns are way too active to stay in a 10g tank, most members on this forum will tell you. As far as the cyano you should cut down on feeding, increase flow in the tank, and suck out as much of the slime as you can when doing waterchanges.

Thanks yeah he's doing really well in here and everybody said if he's happy to leave him there so I plan to keep him there unless I upgrade. Also I heard cyano is stringy and harmful but it hasn't been either one so I don't know if that's what it is. I might buy a power head but that seems pointless in a 10G with pretty good flow already. Both my phosphate and nitrate levels are perfect according to my Red Sea tests.

Your testing low amounts because the cyano is feeding off of them. Your getting it most likely because you have a fish that has no business being in your tank. It's bio load is too large, you need to re home it.

Clowns are way too active to stay in a 10g tank, most members on this forum will tell you. As far as the cyano you should cut down on feeding, increase flow in the tank, and suck out as much of the slime as you can when doing waterchanges.

It's not that they are too active. Bioload is a huge factor for them in 10gs.

This is a FOWLR system. The nutrients that the cyano is feeding off of could be coming in from the use of tap water as well. Is this the water that you are using, or are you using ro/di water? What is your water change schedule like, weekly/bi-weekly?

Back
Top Bottom