Tank Levels and their Meaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e.mmareese

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know if there is already a thread floating around about this or if its in the right spot but here it goes

Can someone explain to me what the level things are like ph,amonia,ppm,nitraits, (and all the other ones I missed) that you test your water for?
Like what is it, what do the levels mean, and where should they be at about (and yes I know it should be different for different fish), and other important information, thanks!

Sounds like you need to read up on the nitrogen cycle. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium The nitrogen cycle is the process by which good bacteria get rid of the ammonia that fish produce. Ammonia and NitrIte are very bad for fish. NitrAte is not bad for fish in small amounts. The good bacteria need to build up in your tank in order to turn ammonia (which comes from fish waste) into nitrIte, and then turn that into nitrAte.
In a cycled tank, Ammonia should be 0, NitrIte should be 0, and NitrAte should be less than 20ppm. pH is not as important and you shouldn't try to mess with it as a beginner; a pH that stays the same is what you need.

Back
Top Bottom