Tank sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Live Sand???

• ls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bagged sand

• Dry Sand

• Total voters

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that the bagged sand can be seeded by the live rock and turn into live sand....but do you think it will speed up the fishless cycle using ls :?: :?: or does it not matter??

I would definately say using livesand speeds up the cycling. I added about 60lbs of LS to my 30gallon, my tank cycled completely in 23 days....I also had about 55lbs of LR.

LS imho is an extra cost not necessary. If you have the cash, go for it. If you are like me, then any argonite sand will do, it becomes live on it's own. Just like the rocks that you have in the tank.

Im ont much on that bagged sand stuff you see on the store shelves. If you can get some sand from an acutal tank either in the store or from a local hobbists.

If you can find the Tropical Playsand from Home Depot it is cheap enough. I'm not sure if it's in season or not, but you can beat the price on this stuff. $7-10 for a 50lb bag. All you need from there is a good cup of sand from a lfs and it will do the rest. That is the cheapest you can get. Also, you can check the sponsors here..Premiumaqautics.com carries sand. Good luck!

Mike

i added 80# of caribsea aragonite and 40# of 100% cured live rock in my 75g and had little to no cycle at all and added 2 baby O clowns 2 weeks after adding liverock. for the price difference i would go with bagged sand but if the opportunity is there where you can get a cup or two from a friend or lfs then go for it, it will help you sand bed establish quicker.

liverocks.com use to have live sand available...assuming they still do.

I personally don't think much of live sand. I'd rather sink that money into some quality live rock, and let it seed my sand.

I agree with malkore spend the money on LR IMO more bang for your buck.
I have LS in my reef and play sand in my fowlr and you can not tell them apart unless you look very close.
As far a speeding up the cycle IMO as long as you have enough LR having LS will not make a difference, more bacteria will grow in and on the LR then sand bed.
Do not rush the cycle and take your time or you will be sorry in the end. While the tank is cycling take time to read up on the hobby and read up on the fish and corals you want.
If your looking to get a fast cycle then you need to spend some extra $$ and get cured LR and you should have a min of 1lb per gallon.

accual playsand for a sand box will work??? and then what...i have to get a cup of ls from my lfs and thats it??

if thats all then im going to do that.. save money and put it toward better lr is not a bad idea....

is there a certain type of playsand i should be looking in to??

Make sure it is tropical playsand, and then check to see if it is argonite or not by dropping some vinegar on the sand (a drop or two) and it should fizz. Regular sand is usually silica and not the best choice for sw tanks. Argonite helps buffer the water.

sounds good i will shop tomm :mrgreen: .....do i still need a cup of ls from my lfs??or is the playsand enough?? :?: :?:

Back
Top Bottom