Tank selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stryyf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here goes, I am still in the planning phases of my set up but I just found a guy that is upgrading his FW tank and he is selling his 40 gal tall stand and hood for 50$ I got 1st dids on it but i am worried that a tall tank may create problems with lighting and all. But 50 bucks for a nice tank and stand and hood is so good I don't want to pass it up.

My question is is having a Tall tank going to create more problems then it is worth?

I would be wanting to have Live rock, fish and maybe some toadstools or some soft coral later

If you do go with it, remember that it's not the same surface area as a "real" 40 gal. This is important for fish load calculations.

For the price you can't beat it. You could maybe use it for curing lr, etc. I would probably buy it as well for that price. :)

Mike

"tall" tanks are a bit less desirable for reef tanks. They have less surface area for gas exchange and, because they are deeper, light penetration is an issue in regards to corals. Also, most fish prefer horizontal swimming room rather then vertical.

Back
Top Bottom