Tank upgrade help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have a 38 gallon tropical with 3x angelfish 2x golden pencilfish 6x neon tetras 1x killifish 1x peters elephant nose 1x kuhli loach 1x zebra loach 2x black tetras 1x pepper Cory 1x bumblebee goby 1x rainbow shark 1x blue ram 1x platy 1x guppy 3x goldfish and 3x rummy nose tetras so I clearly need an upgrade. I also keep live plants to keep the environment for the fish as real as possible. I was thinking of getting a 66 gallon 5 foot aquarium and I just wanted to know the best way to fishlessly cycle the tank and any other tips on transporting the fish and the live plants to their new home. I am only 13 but I am a life long devoted aquarist and I love my fish so thanks and give me some tips on those things.

Tetra98

You could move your current filter over to the new tank along with some substrate to avoid a cycle or just have a mini cycle.

carey said:
You could move your current filter over to the new tank along with some substrate to avoid a cycle or just have a mini cycle.

+1
that's the best way to do it. You'll need a bigger filter anyways, so you could run the new filter with the old filter so it gets some bacteria, and then put the old filter in the 55g. When it's cycled, you can keep both filters running, and move the fish over.

Thanks guys but the new tank comes with an overhanging trickle filter so I don't want to use the filter that I have again

Ok can i segguest getting rid of the goldfish and the rainbows. Also the bummblebee goby needs brackish water so he needs the boot. Also the elephant nose should have a tank of its own and a lot of special care. So if you really want to see him thrive then leave him in the 38gal. You need to get more of the tetras and corys atleast 6 in a group and 3 for the zebra loach. And the kuhli loach will be more active if it has some friends. So with a 66gal you will be in the clear ;)

Back
Top Bottom