Tank will not clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal community tank that has been set up for 2 in a half months. The water has been cloudy the whole time and will not get better

I've got:
-Fluval 406 canister (purigen replaced carbon)
-5 rainbowfish, 2 cories, 2 dwarf gouramis, a couple of Otos
-Driftwood, sand/fluorite mix sub

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5ppm nitrate
7.8 pH

I figured this filter would keep my tank crystal clear. After waiting months for it to clear. I decided to try Accurel f to clear it up but it did not even help. I do 30% water changes and use prime. My stocking should not even be close to maxed out. What is my problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is someone digging up the substrate?
Have you put floss in your filter?

No digging.

I have the fluval polishing pads and also I have poly fill for filter floss in a few trays.

I've got 4 bags of purigen in the filter.

Idk why it won't clear up

It's possible it may be The driftwood is leeching, some need to be soaked a number of times before adding to the tank from what I remember, also you say you use Purigen have you placed the bags between filter floss as this also may be leaking into the system,and if it's not that I would continue using active carbon and changing it on a regular basis and continue doing water changes which will help ,also can we see a picture of your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a 406 in my 50 gal....it was a 306 at first when I set this tank up and it took at least 3 months before I was satisfied with the clarity... I am also running a sponge filter as well....anyway in my 406 I am the bio foam it came with and the floss and these additional items.... floss, bio ceramic cylinders, matrix, purigen and a packet of carbon....the water is crystal clear. Like you, our Ph here is high and I cannot put enough chems in to lower it so I just leave it....Give it a bit more time, I really like these canister filters and have moved the 306 over to my 29g bio cube and still using the wet/dry set-up built in...if possible that water is even more clear. Stick with it and don't try to achieve it with chemicals, IMO the fewer treatments the better.....I use Prime in my tanks and that's it. If it is the drift wood leaching, that would give a slight "tea" coloration to the tank and not cloud the water and some carbon in the 406 should take care of that.

I finally had to use a UV sterilizer to clear my water..... I was having algae and bacterial bloom issues that would not go away. I found Green Killing Machine that clips on to your existing filter. Did the trick in about a week... of course I have a 16 gallon and that model is not made for bigger than 20g.

Thanks for the all the help

Yes I do have my purigen in between floss and polishing pads

Here is a pic. I did a 50% water change today
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471057945.659967.jpg

That doesn't look that bad I think you just need to be patient I'm sure it will settle eventually as most of us have had this problem in the beginning stages sometimes its just a chemistry thing[emoji846]

That doesn't look that bad I think you just need to be patient I'm sure it will settle eventually as most of us have had this problem in the beginning stages sometimes its just a chemistry thing[emoji846]

It agree! Also sometimes UV sterilizers are a bandage and knowing your water chemistry is more reliable.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom