Tank with a green tint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 30gal tank has a slight green tint to it and its bugging the heck out of me, i tested my water parameters and there fine, however i do notice a small build up of algae on my fake plants and rock.. is this contributing to the water? and how can i get rid of it?

Make sure the water tint is actually green, it can be very tough to discern the color in your tank. Take a sample of water into a white cup, like a styrofoam cup, and make sure it's really tinted green and not white as they're 2 very different things.

neilanh i took your advice, the water itself is clear, so does tht means its my lighting? the bulb is pretty old, are there certain kinds for different tints?

(EDIT: Correction my water actually has a yellow tint to it.. hard to tell with my light on, but i looked at it in my plastic cup and it is yelllowww.. could this be from the driftwood? How can i fix it?)

Last edited:
How new is this driftwood? If you've just added it, it's releasing tannins into the water, creating the yellow color. Run some activated carbon in the filter to remove the tannins.

Glad you checked, because white, green and yellow all have different diagnosis, and as you can see, it's really hard to tell looking at the tank.

Like BigJim said, it's most likely tannins leaching from the new wood. It's completely harmless, so nothing to be worried about. If you don't like the way it looks, however, there are things you can do to stop it.

Again, like Jim said, running AC will help to remove it. If it really bugs you, you can take the driftwood out and boil it in water until it stops staining the water. Depending on the size of the wood, this can take minutes, or hours to do, however.

I'm inclined to believe it's the glass. Glass has a green tint to it because of the iron used in glass making. If that's it, the only way to get rid of that is to use a much more expensive and colorless glass.

Back
Top Bottom