tannin leach = KH loss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 10g aquarium is nearly ready to add fish, but I figured I should check something first.

I have two pieces of driftwood in the tank. I had initially boiled them for a couple of hours before placing them in the tank to try to boil out all of the tannins in the wood. I thought I got all of it out, but was wrong. It started leeching into the tank the second week that I added it, and has been ever since.

I do believe that it actually isn't a bad thing for the fish/inverts that I intend to add to my tank; RCS, amano shrimp, and cardinal tetras. I may also re-home my nerite snail from my 20g tank to this one since the 20g already has 3 ottos in it.

The one thing I am noticing, however, is the change in water chemistry. My pH has been stable at 7.8, which is a good thing, and my GH has stayed around 6º. My KH is a different story, as it has been dropping, now sitting at a low of 2º.

I've heard that tannin will drop pH, but appears to work over the buffers first until they're low enough to allow for the pH to fall. I do believe that it's KH that is the main buffer for pH and not GH (feel free to correct me if I"m wrong).

Is there anything that I can or should do to buffer my tank so the pH won't be at risk of crashing? I know the cardinal tetras will enjoy the softer water, but I can't imagine that they'd enjoy a large fluctuation in pH levels.

With the water changes I had to do to get the nitrAte numbers down before populating the tank, my KH went up a degree from 2º to 3º.

My guess is, with weekly water changes, KH will never go low enough for the pH to start dropping, no matter how much tannin is released. Correct?

First
PH and kh are related, if kh go up so pH of kh go down so pH. Its not linear. If You use a base or acid, thats another story!!!
Second,
water change assure you new kh boost when you add the new water.
Depending on your water quality, you may need more. To have Less, use peat or mopani and malaisia Wood and almost all Wood.
Sorry i could be very more precise but in french only!!
Thank

Back
Top Bottom