tap water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so...what should the readings from the tap be....I tested the ammonia and nitrates just now when doing a water change and there was no ammonia and nitrates...is this weird that there's nitrates in the tap water..or should I retest

Andrew McFadden said:
Do you mean there are no ammonia and nitrITEs but there is nitrATEs?

Well Im currently waiting for my nitrite kit to come in the mail ...so I just tested my tap water for ammonia and nitrates....no ammonia..and according to the water test it says there's nitrates

lyric112209 said:
Well Im currently waiting for my nitrite kit to come in the mail ...so I just tested my tap water for ammonia and nitrates....no ammonia..and according to the water test it says there's nitrates

How much nitrates?

Andrew McFadden said:
As long as its not over 20 I wouldn't worry about it. Are you using the api nitrate liquid test kit or strips?

The liquid test

lyric112209 said:
Is that normal?

Some have trates so its normal at low reading for your local water company I believe

Edit
I know you can call or look up your local water companys test results. They have to meet certain spec.

Last edited:
The EPA sets the max allowable nitrate level for public water supplies at 10ppm. Look up your municipality/authority online for the most recent water test reports. My water is handled by three separate companies that cover a wide area so the companies themselves do not handle specifics of each municipality.

Back
Top Bottom