Tell me what this pesty plant is please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad dog fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tell me what this pesty plant is please. I'm working on getting rid of it. It is growing really well. It came in on a plant from a friends tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431168893.233511.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like BBA on the glass.
H202 can help kill it, but this is a tough algae!
Some use Glut(seachem excel,metricide,cidex..) and H202 in a aggressive treatment combo,but caution or reading up on it is advised.
I use H202 to "control" my BBA(Black Beard Algae).
I would manually remove as much as possible.
Old link but a good one!
Algae in the Planted Aquarium-- Guitarfish
Hope this helps!
Welcome to AA!

Thank you for your help. I have manually removed some and will keep on doing that.?

Like bandit said, bba, can result from poor flow and too much light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have been reducing the amount of light drastically recently. Down to about 5 hours roughly per day. I regularly clean the filter but for awhile I've wondered if there is enough flow in the tank. My tank is 160lt. I'll see if I can attach a photo. Any advice on set up that will improve my tank is greatly appreciated.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431209539.189227.jpg

I set both my filters so that all of the plants move slightly in the water flow. I use this movement, or lack of it, to determine when the filters need cleaning.
More plants would help reduce algae as they out compete the algae for nutrients. Reducing the lighting period can reduce algae but it also hampers strong plant growth which is essential.
Failing improving water flow or increasing planting I do recommend Excel or Glut. The plants benefit from the carbon source and the algae is kept at bay as Excel or Glut contains a low level algaecide.
I have also noticed that algae seems to grow better in old water so regular partial water changes, not just when high nitrates dictate a PWC is needed, seem to reduce algae getting a hold.

What light fixture do you have?
What do you use for ferts?
What do you use for a carbon source?

Been reading through this thread and looked at my own tank and have noticed a small bit of BBA on some leaves. Glad I caught it early.

Best removal?

I've heard of manual removal where you just clip off infected leaves.

Also heard of shooting it with hydrogen peroxide.

Caleb

I use a standard sunlight globe in my light. Not sure what you mean by carbon. Just using a standard Aqua one brand fertiliser.

Back
Top Bottom