Temp swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting temp swings of 2-4F in any given 24hr period, jsut wondered if this is going to be acceptable when I start keeping corals?

If its not any advice on how I could (cheaply) temp control the fans I have so that they come on if the tank goes up by say 1F? & then turn off again once its back down?

Cheers Shelton.

You still need fans? It's cooled down here quite a bit so I had to switch mine off.

Is the room quite hot? What kind of temps are you getting?

I would say 2F daily swing is the max fluctuation acceptable. You may want to raise your heater temp to compensate unless you are over 84f.

Atari & Phases99:

I have an enclosed lid with 4xT5's in it, gets surprisingly warm....

Its normally that during the day when the lights are on I have 2x92mm PC fans blowing air in through the back @ 7.5v which keeps the temps stable'ish around the 81-82 mark (quite loud though), now after 7pm its just the moonlights on, but I've found if I don't have the fans on at all it has crept up to nearly 84f! but with the fans on all the time it drops as low as 79.4f, atm I have them on a timer to come on & go off for an hour at a time in the evening/early morning.

The trouble is during the day if I switch the fans to a lower volts it doesn't keep the high end temp stable, but of course it doesn't drop as low at night. :roll:

I don't wanna have to crawl under the tank twice a day to alter the voltage on the fans, thus I wondered if I could somehow monitor the temp which would then turn the fans on if the temps gets high enough & off again once it lowers?

The only thing I've seen to do this is an IKS & it looks to me as if I'd have to spend around £250 to get the unit & the 4 way gang lead for it :( I suppose if I add a PH probe for another £60 atleast it would be doing 2 things?

Cheers Shelton.

If you set it to 81 then you should be fine to just leave the fans running without getting much of a drop.

Temp is one of the biggest challenges for smaller tanks. I don't know how the nano guys do it. As Atari said, raising your heater to about 81F or so should stabilize you enough.

Back
Top Bottom