Temperature swing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it normal for my temperature to swing 4 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of the day? I have my heater set to 76 degrees, and my digital thermometer on the opposite side of the tank reads 78-82.5.

Is it just the thermometers location? The heater was next to the filter intake and below my skimmer but I moved the intake so now it's just the skimmer moving the water away from the heater.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi.
There is often a variation in temperature throughout the tank, especially in larger tanks, unless you have two heaters and a huge amount of turbulence. Also, digital thermometers are made very cheaply for the fish keeping market and are not exactly scientifically calibrated. I have had 3 side by side that read a few degrees different from each other. I used to be obsessed with stability but as long as the variation is only a few degrees then no harm will come to your fish. I've said this before, in the wild the night time temp drops and the water heats in the daytime sun, it changes gradually though, as does your tank. There are very few fish that would be affected by this minor temp fluctuation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure thanks!
It's a 150 watt heater in a 29 gallon tank, I'm sure the 23 watt CFL spotlight adds some heat too.

Is the increased temp during the lighting cycle?
Are lights in hood?
Do you have a top(what kind)?
Does the room the tank is in swing also?

Yes to the increase during the light cycle, but it happened before I added the CFL

The CFL is in a 10 inch circle reflector hood, but the LED isn't in a hood.

Open top

The room that the tank is in has the house thermostat so it shouldn't change to much.

The room that the tank is in has the house thermostat so it shouldn't change to much.

You run AC like heat?
The room never goes above "X"?
I have central ac but have not use it yet(it has been hot here) and even my larger tanks stay warm easier.
A small tank could easily go up(along with room temp) when lights and sunlight (outside) are in effect IMO.

The house usually stays around 65-68 degrees but to save money my parents won't always turn the AC on until the house is in the 70's and humid.

Back
Top Bottom