Temporary Recipe For Success?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for some insight from you experienced planted tank folk. As some of you know, I'm in the middle of closing on a house, but at the same time I'm itching to set up the 20L I've had for the past few months. With that said, I'm wanting to give something a try but I'm afraid of the chance of failure. That's where you cats come in. Here's my plan.

20g long
Play sand with osmocote root tabs
Dual T8 fixture
DIY CO2

Plants would be
Blyxa Japonica
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (Brazilian micro sword)
Monte Carlo

What are my chances of growing these successfully in a low buck, low tech environment? From my understanding, they are all fairly undemanding plants, and primarily root feeders. Any input, and/or recommended changes would be appreciated.

Jesse

Nils has blyxa in his tank and he seems to do well with it.

I had hydrocotyle japan once I think in a low light setup with DIY co2 and it withered away and died. But that was one of my first plants so that doesn't say much.

L. Mauritania is an alternative to brasiliensis that grows slower but better in low light.

Going by Hoppy's PAR readings over on TPT, I should be able to hit medium light levels with dual T8s with the short distance from bulbs to substrate. I have a few T8 fixtures laying around, I could always add another fixture if I don't have enough light. I guess the only way to truly find out is to do the dang thing, right? Haha. Would it benefit adding clay and iron chelate tabs as well as the osmocote plus?

Jesse

Going by Hoppy's PAR readings over on TPT, I should be able to hit medium light levels with dual T8s with the short distance from bulbs to substrate. I have a few T8 fixtures laying around, I could always add another fixture if I don't have enough light. I guess the only way to truly find out is to do the dang thing, right? Haha. Would it benefit adding clay and iron chelate tabs as well as the osmocote plus?

Jesse

I was just looking at that thread haha.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially if you plan to add crypts, which every low tech tank needs!

Wait are you asking if you should add both? Uh not sure but osmocote plus is usually used on its own. I suppose using both wouldn't hurt though.

I don't plan to add any crypts, or any other plants for that matter. I may add some type of moss, but that's about it. I have a very specific hardscape and plant lay out in my head that I'm trying to achieve haha. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find out about the other supplement tablet I mentioned.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom