Territorial Honey Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fogodechao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank with the following fish:

2 honey gourami (1 male/1 female)
6 neon tetras
1 celestial pearl danio
2 kuhli loaches
1 whiptail catfish
3 Amano shrimps

My male honey gourami seems to have his own territory in the back corner of the tank. He mates with my female from time to time and gets aggressive with any fish that goes near his territory. I know there are a couple of gourami fry there but they usually don’t survive. I had more celestial pearl danios but I think my male honey gourami accidentally killed them when they wander in to his zone. I want to get more CPDs but I don’t want him to kill them. I’m afraid his aggression may be stressing some of my other fish as well. So my question...is there anything I can do to stop his aggression? Would getting another female or more fish make him less territorial or is removing him the only way for me to establish a peaceful aquarium?

Yes, he actually does build bubble nests. He builds them in his territory and invites the female over when he wants to mate.

That's unusual in a community tank, especially to raise any fry. If you can, I'd get another tank and put the gourami pair in there. I don't think you can decrease aggression by the male of a mated pair.

Thank you. I decided to just remove the male and keep them separate. I will try to keep them together again in a community tank the future. Maybe in a larger tank.

I added 3 more celestials to replace the ones that passed away. I noticed my old celestial nipping at my new ones, which causes my new celestials to nip at my other fish. I do not want to get more if they are just going to nip each other. Are CPDs not good for community aquariums? I think they are all females.

... I would also like to mention that when i first recieved the celestials and added them to my tank for the first time they also displayed this nipping behavior.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I just want a peaceful community aquarium :(

Back
Top Bottom