Test Strips, Nitrates, and Green spotted Puffer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have these test strips from walmart called jungle quick dip, and was wondering if they are accurate? According to it, my nitrate is unsafe.(like around 80). How do I lower this? Do I do a water change? I have never once did a water change =( I know I should, but I looked and I couldn't find a siphon or gravel cleaner to take the water out. Any suggestions on how to do so or should I order one off of eBay??

On another note, I saw at Walmart they had these green spotted puffers, but they had the name HI Green puffers or Hawaii Green puffers. Are these the same as green spotted puffers, the type that eventually need brackish water? Just wondering, and yes, I am in Hawaii.

No the test strips are not accurate, so best to invest in a. API freshwater kit. As far as nitrates if they are at 80ppm do a 50% water change to bring them down 40ppm and so on until they're around 20ppm.

You can by a Python or Aqueons version at Petsmart or Petco. There are different sizes depending on far the sink is, this and the master test kit are the two most important things to keeping fish healthy, and the third is Prime water conditioner.

As far as the puffers I have no experience so Im sure someone else will comment on those guys.

Last edited:
No the test strips are not accurate, so best to invest in a. API freshwater kit. As far as nitrates if they are at 80ppm do a 50% water change to bring them down 40ppm and so on until they're around 20ppm.
Do I have to use a siphon or gravel cleaner to do the water change or can I do it with just a cup and scoop out the water? Also, when adding new water, do I have to condition it? sorry for all the questions.

Do I have to use a siphon or gravel cleaner to do the water change or can I do it with just a cup and scoop out the water? Also, when adding new water, do I have to condition it? sorry for all the questions.

Without a gravel vac like I described above manual scooping is like manual labor. After removing 50% of the water you'll need to treat the replacement water with a conditioner like Prime to remove chlorine or chloramines, if needed as i have well water so I have no need.

Yea, sorry, didnt read the rest of your post for some reason, I am super tired, I need to eat sometihng haha. Ok, will do then, Thanks for your help! Time to get the replacement water ready and do some manual labor! I got enough time anyway.

Brandonaki360 said:
I have these test strips from walmart called jungle quick dip, and was wondering if they are accurate? According to it, my nitrate is unsafe.(like around 80). How do I lower this? Do I do a water change? I have never once did a water change =( I know I should, but I looked and I couldn't find a siphon or gravel cleaner to take the water out. Any suggestions on how to do so or should I order one off of eBay??

On another note, I saw at Walmart they had these green spotted puffers, but they had the name HI Green puffers or Hawaii Green puffers. Are these the same as green spotted puffers, the type that eventually need brackish water? Just wondering, and yes, I am in Hawaii.

GSP need to be in BW from the start and walmart kills more fish than they sell, so they're not a good barometer for anything fish related. Use Instant Ocean salt, not aqua salt and the API FW Master test kit is the correct kit to use. I don't use a python, just a gravel vac and buckets, so it's not a must have. Petco, et al should have a gravel vac (or python) in stock.

Check out my build thread for more info on GSP.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/new-tank-build-29-gallon-gsp-adventure-147269.html

Back
Top Bottom