Testing tannin stained water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently in the middle of a fishless cycle on my 200l tank. I'm adding ammonia and using the "add and wait" method. My water is stained with tannins from my driftwood at the moment (boiled and soaked previously). I'm adding a picture of before and after to give you an idea on the colour of the water. I was just wondering, to what extent will my test results for ammonia be affected by the orange colour of the water? I did a large water change before for the same reason and brought the ammonia back up to 4ppm but it took two weeks for it to drop again, whereas before the water change it was dropping 1ppm/day. Should I keep going with the orange water and do a WC at the end of the cycle, or will if affect my test results readings?

I dont do fishless cycles, so I wouldnt be able to divulge with the ammonia and trite and trate moving around and when and how much they move. But tannins from wood do not effect the testing.

I dont do fishless cycles, so I wouldnt be able to divulge with the ammonia and trite and trate moving around and when and how much they move. But tannins from wood do not effect the testing.
think op means the tannins color stain is altering the color of the liquid test. I don't know op, that's a new one for me.

What does the water look like in a test tube? When I first added driftwood to my task and could see the noticeable stain, I thought it would mess with my test results, but when I got the water in the tube, it looked clear, so I proceeded with testing. Kind of strange, but not really, I guess! I compared it to how those beautiful oceans look like an aqua blue, but really, it's not.. Yes, I'm a weirdo... :p

Thanks all for your reply!
Yes, I meant the colour of the water changing the resulting colour in the test tube - sorry, I should have explained it better!
I have added two bags of carbon into my cannister (I've got purigen but don't want to slow the cycle) and although the tank looks still the same, when I put water in the test tube it looks much less coloured than before. Here's a pic with tap water on the left and tank water on the right. It's not nearly as bad anymore so I doubt it will affect the results.

I think it looks fine. The ammonia test is so clearly yellow/green and much more vivid than that. What an interesting question though!

Back
Top Bottom