Thank god for water alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I set up my 36 gal tank I put a water alarm in the cabinet one sensor on the floor and one on the floor of The cabinet. I also
Got a aqueon quiet flow 50 so I wouldn't have to worry about water leaking. The filter clogged and water was backing up behind the filter and running down the back of the filter and dripping on the floor. ...... So after some leaked out and made a puddle right next to
My bed the alarm finally started going off.. I never tested it so I didn't know it was that loud. It went off, I jumped out of bed slipped in the water fell got up turned the light on And saw my tank was a little low.... Lol it was so hard to figure out what was going on with the alarm going off I'm half asleep, all at 4:00 am lol. As far as the amount it wasn't bad I probably only lost a gallon until
The alarm went off... But what a way to start the day... How often should I change the filter it was in there about 2 months... I rinsed it a couple times... I just ordered filters today so I had to leave the filter off for now.

Depends..once they are clogging and not being able to pull water through then it's time. Otherwise a good rule of thumb is about 2-3 weeks. You can maybe do more than that though..I switch mine out about every month. Be sure to leave your filter media in the tank too for you beneficial bacteria.

Ok thanks... I just orderd a pack of them so ill b set for a couple months. Do I just leave the filter in the corner of My tank?

Cut the floss part of the cartridge off and stick it in the filter. Let it run like that until you receive the new filter cartridges.

David

Ok thanks... I just orderd a pack of them so ill b set for a couple months. Do I just leave the filter in the corner of My tank?

Alot of people put the old media in front (technically behind) the new one for a couple days..and then get rid of it.

You will have to just keep an eye on it and use your own judgement on when you think it's time. You'll see it overflowing near the intake area of the bucket type part..that means water isn't getting passed the media..which means you should clean the media or get a new filter in there if you have tried cleaning it off.

Back
Top Bottom