The best purchase I ever made for Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dpaulmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a Media reactor - SMR1 from Nextreef to run with ecobak pellets. I was having a somewhat High nitrate and phospahte problem and so far after about 4 weeks this thing is amazing. The first day I could see a difference in water clarity, the corals just love this thing.

Here is how the manufacturer describes the pellets:

EcoBAK ULNS Pellets are a unique and revolutionary probiotic product that will change the way marine and reef aquariums are maintained. EcoBAK is a biodegradable polymer that serves as a stable and consistent organic Carbon food source and substrate for bacterial strains that consume organic compounds including Phosphate and Nitrate. In effect, ecoBAK reduces nuisance algae, clarifies water and supplies Planktonic bacteria as a food source for corals in the reef aquarium. EcoBAK works naturally, with NO harmful chemical additives.

The ecoBAK system requires the use of a properly sized and efficient protein skimmer to export the additional waste products produced as the ecoBAK cleans the aquarium. Ecobak should be used in a fluidized media reactor with the output directed into the same area as the protein skimmer intake.

Directions for use: Use 500ml of ecoBAK per 100 gallons of true water volume. Rinse the ecoBAK in purified fresh water. The pellets can be soaked in purified fresh water overnight to reduce floating pellets. Add the rinsed pellets into a properly sized fluidized media reactor. Attach a pump to the reactor and adjust to flow approximately 100 gph per liter of ecoBAK. The proper amount of flow will create a gentle tumbling effect inside the reactor. Direct the output of the reactor into the same area as the protein skimmer intake. Within 3-4 weeks the ecoBAK will be sufficiently colonized with bacteria to begin reducing organic compounds. Aquariums with high bio-load may experience a short period of temporary water cloudiness.

You'll need the SMR1 for Ecobak pellets because the SMR1 has larger tubing - it allows better flow so the pellets gently tumble.

Here's a video on Youtube that shows it working: Next Reef SMR1 Solid Media Reactor - YouTube

This is where I got the Reactor:

NextReef SMR1 Biopellet Package w/ Eheim Pump

I had a maxi-jet 1200 laying around so I didn't have to get the pump. I got the package deal with the Ecobak pellets, they are kind of hard to find so I just got it all here. It took about a week to get here, the whole thing cost about $159.00 - Pellets and reactor.

When they say only add half a dose and then the rest in 2 weeks or so listen to them. You'll get somewhat of a cyanno outbreak but it's easily controlled once everything settles in. I imagine if you add all the pellets right away you'll get more cyanno. Worth every penny other reactors aren't made as well, this thing is solid.

I'd post a pic if I knew how to.

Back
Top Bottom