The Best Setup For Newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am putting this up because I wish I could have had this information when I started. Starting a new tank can be daunting and hard, especially if the LFS is your only resource. This is not a how to on starting a tank but will touch on that subject alittle on the way to the best newbie tank setup.
The best setup for a newbie includes a few criteria I believe. It needs to be low maintenance, because, lets face it, even some pros are not religious about their water changes. Newbies often forget to change the water or think they can skip a week or two so I believe it is important the the tank and its livestock can survive and thrive if water changes are temporarily neglected. When I started I can remember being so discouraged that I barely looked at my tank let alone cleaned it.
Also I don't think a 300 dollar pleco or a very delicate zebra otocinclus are good choices for a newbie. Hardy but exciting fish are the best choice. After all you will make mistakes and the fish should be able to handle it. Also boring fish are not an option :)

Tank Choice:

One common mistake is picking a tank that is too small. It seems to make sense right? That 10 gallon looks alot more manageable than the 75 gallon behemoth in the corner right? While large tanks are harder to clean at times they are still easier that small tanks! I highly recommend your first tank be NO LESS than 20 gallons! I also would suggest you stay at or below 55 gallons. Exceptionally deep tanks are probably not the best beginner choice either. A 57 column may be a beautiful tank but it is also very hard to take care of.

Just as an extra note. Two great starter kits would be the top fin 20 gallon kit and the aqueon 26 gallon bowfront kit. Just keep in mind that while these are great kits, you may want to upgrade cetrain parts eventually. Buying all parts separately can be a better option at times.

Filter:

If you decide to skip the kit then you will probably get a better filter than the kit would offer. The filter I prefer is the aquaclear. They are good filter that are very customizable. If you decide to get one however, get it from a place with a good warranty because, in my experience, they suffer from quality control issues at times. When you get a good one though it is amazing! Fluval c series are also nice. If you choose to have live plants (mentioned later) then you should leave the carbon out of your filter. Many think it is unnecessary anyway. Make sure you add biomaterial like ceramic rings.

Their are other filter options like canisters, sumps, etc. but Hang on the backs are best for beginners. Make sure you over filter however! On my 26 gallon tank I have an acuaclear 70 gallon filter. Always try to go one size higher that you tank.

Heater:
Best advice on heaters is don't cheap out. I own cheap heaters but when they die I will be buying something of higher quality. When it comes to heaters you get what you pay for. Fluval and Eheim heaters are good options.

Once again over do it. If you have a 20 gallon tank get a heater rated for the next highest bracket. Having 2 heater is even better. Under heating can be dangerous to you fish and you!

Light:

The light that comes with your aquarium should be sufficient unless you want medium to high light plants. For low and medium light plants the best to do is research for you tank. It is hard to give a general rule on lighting.

Substrate:

Depends on what you like! Some plants have different needs but for the most part just about anything will be fine. Make sure whatever you pick has no sharp edges. Also if you are like me and want sand then pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand works just as well as (in some ways better) than the expensive pet store sand.

Live Plants:

Live plants are optional but are very very beneficial for an aquarium. I HIGHLY recommend live plants. Pick some low light beginner plants. Do your research!!!! Some plants that pet stores sell cannot stay underwater! Water sprite, water wisteria, banana plants, anubias, and crypts are great beginner plants.

To make you tank easier to take care of, you can hang the roots of a pothos vine in the water. It cleans the water very well (you still have to clean it though!)

Fish:
Fish are the arguably the best part of an aquarium! To start off take it easy! You will make mistakes. It is inevitable. Some fish tolerate beginner mistakes and some do not. The number one tool here is to do lots of research. Make sure the fish are compatable in size, aggresion, temperature, and water parameters. Also I wouldnt recomend expensive fish and I would definetly not recomend any inverts other than inexpensive snails. Also some fish are dirtier than others so do your research to see how many fish can fit in your tank. Remember, less fish means less waste!

Great beginner fish include, zebra danios, bristlenose plecos, platies, guppies, cories, and some tetras. Large fish in a small tank will not work. If you are told that the fish "only grow as big as the tank" then find somebody else to give you advice. The truth is the fish WILL only grow as big as the tank allows because they will die prematurely.

Overall research is you best friend. Cycle your tank, clean it regularly, and feed the fish and you will do pretty good ;)

Anybody who thinks I missed anything please leave me a reply!

Research your fish selection BEFORE you buy.

If, at any time, the guy working in your LFS says "Yeah, that fish can get big, but it will only grow as large as the tank will allow" just laugh and walk away. Large fish (Common Pleco, Goldfish, Bala Shark, etc) in a small tank is a recipe for pain and death for the fish. Search "aquarium fish stunting" if you want to see what can happen.

Thanks Blert that totally slipped my mind. I added it in :)

Back
Top Bottom