The Feng Shui Fish Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Disclaimer: This thread is slightly tongue-in-cheek and just for fun.

Even though I'm a moderate slob, I do like the idea of feng shui, at least at face value. Since I got rid of the Amazonian jungle aquarium of rotting death, I decided to go for a more streamlined, clean look (so I could see all my fish when I needed to do a head count). I'm not opposed to an auspicious fish tank, so I Googled "feng shui aquarium" and it turns out there is such a thing.

The aquarium should ideally be in the southeast part of the house or, secondly, in the northeast. It should never be in the kitchen or in the bedroom. It says the most powerful fish to have in the feng shui tank is the dragonfish, but that koi and goldfish are equally as auspicious.

So, I have a 40 gallon tank (pics below) that is currently cycling, and I'm half tempted to have a goldfish-only tank. OTOH, from what I read, it's good to have all orange fish and one black fish, traditionally a Blackmoor goldfish (the one with the googly eyes). I have two sunset wag platies, Lady the goldfish (he's silver, orange, and black), a black molly, an orange balloon belly molly, a yellow fancy guppy, a black and white angel fish, and Hemlock the peacock blue betta fish.

The movement of fish and water in an aquarium activates and enhances chi energy in your home. An aquarium designed according to Feng Shui basics can bring good luck and wealth to a household. Fish help with positive Feng Shui energy by cleansing a home of negative energy. || LINK ||

I think we all know how excellent fish are for bringing positive energy or else we wouldn't bother with being aquarists, IMO.

Anyhow, the article goes on to stress the importance of aerators to increase the "chi" in the aquarium - the bubbles are apparently very important!

Traditional Feng Shui practice is to place orange fish in your aquarium along with one lone black fish. Avoid using red fish in an aquarium used for Feng Shui. The color red represents fire. Fire clashes with the water element in an aquarium. Silver colored fish are fine. Fish help absorb any negative energy present in the home.

Black fish are especially sensitive to negative energy, in particular the Black Moor goldfish. If you have problems with Black Moor goldfish dying, check basic conditions of the aquarium, such as water temperature and proper operation of the aerator. If your aquarium has the proper conditions, but the Black Moor goldfish still die, there is negative energy present in the house.

As someone who seems to be unable to keep even a ceramic fish alive, this seems a bit daunting, LOL! I'm afraid I'd be going through Blackmoors left and right. Besides, my house is 120 years old - who knows who has left negative energy in this place over the past century! But, seriously, I sort of like the idea of an Asian-themed, feng shui-ish set up. I love the color red (which is an auspicious color in feng shui) and I love Chinese and Japanese culture and design. What do you think - is my new set up Feng Shui-ish enough? And should I stock the big tank with goldies and one Blackmoor? Opinions on this very-silly-just-for-fun post are appreciated!

The idea of a dragonfish is intriguing. They are very interesting looking.

Attachments

• Zen Fish Tank.jpg
    Zen Fish Tank.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,861
  • Zen Fish Tank - 02.jpg
    Zen Fish Tank - 02.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 12,740
  • Zen Fish Tank - 03.jpg
    Zen Fish Tank - 03.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,114
  • Zen Fish Tank - 04.jpg
    Zen Fish Tank - 04.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,115
What exactly are you referring to as a dragonfish? I've heard of arrowanas, bettas, lionfish, and, I believe, a species of bichir all called dragonfish.

Tank looks good to me. A black air line would be more harmonious though. :D

If by dragonfish you mean the prehistoric dragon goby, it's a BW fish. And yeah, they survive but not thrive in FW.

Nice tank though, I'd say go with the goldies.

very cool man, looks like it could do with a dwarf koi, if you could get one, but sadly not lol, but well done none the less

Looks great, just missing one of those petco 2.99 buddha's for enlightenment, perch him right next to the pergola and wham, no more bad luck.

In Chinese - the dragon fish would be an arrowona. I would think that is what the Feng Shui Masters are referring to. However, you would need a huge tank for that fish.

Now I wonder what the Feng Shui people would say if the black moor turns orange? <I have 2 that did that ....>

Big Jim wrote: What exactly are you referring to as a dragonfish? I've heard of arrowanas, bettas, lionfish, and, I believe, a species of bichir all called dragonfish. Tank looks good to me. A black air line would be more harmonious though. :grin:

I think the one that I saw at the fish store would be the arrowana. I really don't think I want a dragonfish, to be honest. My tank isn't big enough and I wouldn't purposely crowd the fish! Yeah, I was going to get some sucker cups to hold the air line in place behind the filter intake, but black might look better overall.

CA_BroncoFan wrote: Hey, thats pretty sweet!! It looks like it NEEDS a betta haha

I agree! DragonFish71 found a black betta fish at her local PetCo, so I might just go looking there for one! A black betta fish would be awesome, seriously. And, DragonFish71, I really wouldn't get a dragonfish of any kind. Not only is there the whole BW issue, but I don't think my tank is big enough at all.

steeledarren, isn't a dwarf koi just a goldfish that hasn't grown up yet? ;)

WhiteDevil, LOL on the $2.99 resin Buddha statue :) I could also always get one of those gigantic crawling dragons that you hook up to an air line, that has bubbles frothing out of its mouth! UGH! (I do own the $4.99 resin Balinese temple figurine, which is really ugly).

jsoong wrote: Now I wonder what the Feng Shui people would say if the black moor turns orange? <I have 2 that did that ....

The Feng Shui masters would find a way to somehow NOT blame it on Feng Shui, but would probably find it to be inauspicious because it imbalances the color order of the tank! Remember, only a certain number of the fish can actually be orange! Speaking of goldies, my goldie Lady seems to be losing his black spots - is this something to worry about? He's more orange and silver now.

Phazeshyft wrote: WhiteDevil, thats a Torii Gate not a pergola. Torii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the look of the tank, I might steal it. I really like to Torii and the Bonsai on the left.

Thanks for the link to the Wiki - I think my Torii Gate is a Ryobu torii - at least that's the closest picture I could find to my ornament. I got it at PetCo for $9.99, LOL! The bonsai tree came from Petsmart, as did the little mountains. The glass rocks are from my LFS. Feel free to take the idea if you like it - I've always wanted an Asian-themed aquarium. I need a neat stack of black, flat rocks in the corner to make it feel finished. If you go online you can find all kinds of bonsai ornaments, a lot of them with flowers. I liked the regular kind the best, though. I would also like to get some pieces of bamboo in there if possible.

Speaking of goldies, my goldie Lady seems to be losing his black spots - is this something to worry about? He's more orange and silver now.

Totally normal for goldies to lose the black as they grow. The moor is supposed to be most likely to keep the black, but even they usually fade to a brown chocolate color when old. <And mine are all orange with just a black fringe on the tail.>

A jet black full grown moor (5-6") is fairly rare & fetch a good price. <My lfs has a beautiful specimen for $250 ....>

The aquarium should ideally be in the southeast part of the house or, secondly, in the northeast. It should never be in the kitchen or in the bedroom. It says the most powerful fish to have in the feng shui tank is the dragonfish, but that koi and goldfish are equally as auspicious.

Um....small prob. I live in a studio apartment. I have a kitchen/laundry room, a bathroom, and a bedrrom/office/livingroom. Waht do I do? The east side is kitchen/laundry/entryway and the west side of my apt is bedroom/office/living room. :D

Anyhow, the article goes on to stress the importance of aerators to increase the "chi" in the aquarium - the bubbles are apparently very important!

Of course bubbles are important. Haven't you seen Finding Nemo?

What exactly are you referring to as a dragonfish? I've heard of arrowanas, bettas, lionfish, and, I believe, a species of bichir all called dragonfish.

Tank looks good to me. A black air line would be more harmonious though. :D
In Chinese, dragonfish ('Long Yu') refers to arrowanas.

If there were to be a ninja representin' in my feng shui fish tank, it would have to be Hattori Hanzo from the Street Fighter series. That would be pretty d*** awesome.

Back
Top Bottom